How Do You Find Velocity When Acceleration Is Not Constant?

In summary, to find change in velocity and change in time in relation to a change in distance in planetary motion, you need to solve a pair of coupled differential equations.
an emu
In planetary motion, how do you find change in velocity and change in time in relation to a change in distance? (a=GM/x^2)
since you cannot simply use an equation like vf=vi+at, unless "a" is constant, how do you do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
an emu said:
In planetary motion, how do you find change in velocity and change in time in relation to a change in distance? (a=GM/x^2)
since you cannot simply use an equation like vf=vi+at, unless "a" is constant, how do you do it?

It's called "calculus" and was indeed the mathematical problem that Newton needed to solve before he could formulate his mechanics.

velocity is the integral of the acceleration.

an emu said:

Since planetary motion is two-dimensional (actually three-dimensional, but the orbit is confined to a plane if we're dealing with only one planet at a time, and neglecting perturbations from the other planets), you have to solve a pair of coupled differential equations:

[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac{GMx}{(x^2 + y^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} = \frac{GMy}{(x^2 + y^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Alright, let me make sure I understand that, since I don't know much calculus. Are the equations relating acceleration at distance x and distance y? Also, how do you exactly go about solving the coupled differential equations? It might be a bit over my head right now, but thanks anyways for your help.

Do you know about vectors yet?

When you solve differential equations, you get x(t) and y(t), that is, formulas (or tables) for x and y at time t. The first derivatives dx/dt and dy/dt give you the x and y components of the velocity at time t. The second derivatives [itex]d^2 x / dt^2[/itex] and [itex]d^2 y / dt^2[/itex] give you the x and y components of the acceleration.

In practice, people usually solve differential equations like this using computer software. You give it the initial values of x and y at t = 0, and it calculates a table of x and y at later times. It calculates each point based on the results for the preceding point, going one step at a time. There are various methods (algorithms) for doing the calculation, with different combinations of simplicity, speed and accuracy: Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, etc. You typically learn the details in a numerical-methods course.

Ok that makes a lot of sense, but it means that I am kind of back where I started hehe. I have a program updating calculations for a, v, x, and y in small increments, assuming that a is constant for a tiny amount of time, which seems more or less like Euler's method. I was wondering how exact my answer would be. Would evaluating the differentials produce a different result than if i simply used a=GM/r^2, vf=vi+at, and dx=vit+1/2at^2 to calculate the new values at every time increment?

1. How do you define velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It is also a vector quantity and is defined as the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

3. How is velocity calculated when acceleration is not constant?

When acceleration is not constant, velocity can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on a velocity vs. time graph. This can be done by breaking the curve into smaller sections and using the equation for average velocity (change in position divided by change in time) for each section.

4. What factors affect the velocity of an object when acceleration is not constant?

The velocity of an object when acceleration is not constant is affected by the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the time interval over which the acceleration is applied. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the velocity of an object.

5. Can an object have a constant velocity when acceleration is not constant?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity when acceleration is not constant. This occurs when the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, without any changes in direction or changes in the rate of acceleration.