Does a photon curve space-time, i.e., produce a gravitational field?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a photon can produce a gravitational field and if its degree of curvature is dependent on its energy. There is disagreement on whether a photon has locality and can generate observable gravitational field effects. Some mention the difficulty in measuring the gravitational field of a photon and the concept of relativistic mass. It is suggested that photons may have a gravitational field since they respond to gravity and have energy. The conversation also touches on the idea of treating a photon as an electromagnetic wave to understand its effect on spacetime curvature.
Physics news on Phys.org
jnorman said:
i begin with the notion that a photon moves at C. at C, distance has no meaning - there is no distance between things. ergo, a photon is essentially everywhere at once. and of course, our old general rule - you cannot say anything about a photon in between the time it is emitted and the time it is absorbed...

again, please feel free to knock that down.
You seem to have a particular wave function in mind. A initial quantum state is a given and can take on an arbitrary shape. It can be narrow step function which means that it is definitely located within a very small volume.

Again, you can't say anything until you measure something, and a measurement of the gravitational field, which is the measureable thing or (or rather its effects on a test particle) is the measurement. What can be said between measurements is that it is located somewhere within a light sphere centered on its emission point.

Pete

kev said:
I have read on a number of occasions that two parallel light beams do not gravitationally attract each other while two anti-parallel light beams do gravitationally attract each other. Is that true? If it is true, why does it work one way but not the other?
Yes. All that means is that the gravitational force is velocity dependant just like the Lorentz force. It doesn't mean that the field is absent.

Pete

I will try with questions preparing for one old unanswered question.
If a photon (or better light ray) fly toward a black hole BH, I believe that it will move it.
If a photon curves it direction close to a BH it gives also some momentum to a BH. I believe this.
(I can advocate my view).
But my questions are, when these two photons gives momentum to a BH.
I suppose: When photon is one light-second close to a BH horizon, its loss of a small difference of its momentum come to a BH after one second. And so on.
I suppose that it is similarly with a photon with fly close to black hole.
This is approximately, but how it is more precisely? what is a light second length from horizon?

And final question. On https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=147253" I get one
infinite term which describe force on a black hole.
I do not believe that infinite wide ray gives to a BH a infinite force. Where it is a mistake?

Last edited by a moderator: