Getting Started with Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)

In summary: You can also use magnetic fields to excite the coil, set up fields in Maxwell 3D (in 'fields' tab -> add -> external -> select your coil).I hope this helps, if not feel free to ask more questions.Thanks in advance!Hello, I need help with a problem with my electromagnetic simulation. I have successfully created a model of a coil, with 5 layers and 354 turns, but when I try to simulate the coil, I get the following message: "There is no solution data to display". I have tried five times to run the simulation, and the results are always the same. I am using Maxwell 13 for 3D modeling. Can you help me?
HamidMazaheri said:
Could you please describe more. I have attached a view of my model to make it more clarified. In this model, for example when I set the motion setup type in "Rotation" around Y-axis, there are no faults. And I don't understand the meaning of the error: "[error] Invalid moving objects. All moving objects inside band must form single connected region". How can the all moving objects inside band form single connected region?
You have the purple rail inside another object and these are touching never have objects touching unless you define the boundaries , make it bigger so they don't touch. When you have two separate bodies in linear motion it gives the error you say, you must enclose these objects in a band and make a bigger band as moving band that encloses the band and moving objects. Otherwise make the moving region longer or the duration of the simulation shorter so the rail doesn't hit the band border.

Likes HamidMazaheri
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot. Seems that the problem is solved. I made a bigger band that enclosed the former and assigned the bigger one as the moving band.

Hello again
I just want to calculate the inductance of coils in my model (as I mentioned earlier in this topic, the model is a linear induction motor). I created a rectangular plot in "Maxwell 3D>Results>Create Transient Report>Rectangular Plot" in "Winding" category to calculate the inductance of coils and mutual inductance between them. But the problem is after the simulation is over, there is no data and therefore nothing is plotted. Should I change the solution type in order to let Maxwell to calculate the inductance?

Yes charge the solution type to magnetostiatic also you must add the coils to the parametric values in order for maxwell to calculate the inductance e.t.c. Go to parameters->assign>matrix to do that.

please
hussain_aamir said:
based on my knowledge there is another method; that is using calculator but for getting this you go through maxwell guide that has complete how to use calculator explanation
please do help me for this

Hi, can anyone tell me how to create hysteressis loop?

matija123 said:
Hi, can anyone tell me how to create hysteressis loop?

In Maxwell, for soft ferrite, you cannot use BH loop in maxwell. You need define the BH curve using the simple relation B = uH, starting from 0,0. The curve (or the date set) only reside at the first quarter, positive X-Y.

hello all,
i got error

Maxwell3DDesign1 (Transient)
[error] Illegal external terminal 'CoilTerminal1': An external terminal must border the edge of the problem region and coincides with the surface of a 3D object.
[error] Illegal external terminal 'CoilTerminal2': An external terminal must border the edge of the problem region and coincides with the surface of a 3D object.
please give me solution

Your coil end terminal must be on the border of analyzed region - it must be on the face of your 'region' box.

Likes kaju
can u please give me a exact solution ?
beacuse i don't get it .

Your object (motor, generator no matter what) must be contained inside of a 'region'. This is usually a box - 3D object with 6 faces. Your coil terminals are assigned do two faces of your coil object - at the both ends. So.. faces, to which you assign coil terminals must be on the faces of your 'region'. Not inside, not outside.. just on them, at the same surface.

In other words: modify your geometry so coil end terminals would be on 'region' surface.

this is my object

Attachments

• Capture111.JPG
    Capture111.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 623
kaju said:
this is my object

The surface on your 3D objecct that you apply current must be flush (in another word, must be on the same plane ) with the region boundary surface. The terminal surface cannot be contained inside the region.

In your case, you may have to extrude your terminal surface out to get to the boundary. Many cases, 3D model in Maxwell could not be the exact same as real mechanical model. If you believe making such a change will impact your final result, you have to rearrange your model or your region to fulfill the requirement mentioned above.

Current must be coming from outside the region and then going out the region. You cannot have current source included inside the region.

Hi, can someone please show to me, or explain to me how to create excitations for 24 slots stator, 3-phase, 4-pole or 2-pole, which coil to choose, how to set up coil terminals properly for 3-phase windings etc...?

matija123 said:
Hi, can someone please show to me, or explain to me how to create excitations for 24 slots stator, 3-phase, 4-pole or 2-pole, which coil to choose, how to set up coil terminals properly for 3-phase windings etc...?

I am sorry but the question you asked is way beyond the scope of this thread. It will be as long as writing a book.

Likes gerbi
just sitting in front of computer and trying solutions solves all problems, try it, it`s awesome ;)

ajax20 said:
Royerconverter - inductive coupling of to aircoils

hi guys!

i try to calculate the efficiency of a Royer converter with two air coils (wireless power transfer) and the effects of steal or iron near to the coils. I have got a transmission frequency of 100 khz.

Which solver is the right? Magnetostaic or Eddy Current? (without steal, the coupling coefficient is nearly the same, but with a steal core it is half that.)

are the core losses included in the calculated inductive coupling coefficient?
what is your mean of gotting frequency 100 Khz?

Hi,
I need help with coil simulation in Ansys Maxwell. I posted picture of my coil at the end of post.

• Anyway, i drew a coil as a User defined primitive polygon helix with N turns and added straight coil part after that.
  • I assigned current to ends of my coil, and made current as stranded. One current goes in, other goes out.
  • Drew a box around my coil, so my coil ends are on a surface of a box.
  • assigned materials to coil (copper) and box (vacuum)
  • clicked on Analysis and selected Add Solution Setup and clicked ok ( didnt changed anything in there)
  • i validated coil and it all went ok
  • after analyzing all, i think my simulation results are wrong
I tried to plot H and B as vectors, but i only got few arrows pointing from the coil on top(and they are on a coil surface only. il post it if you want or need to see what's wrong.
Any help would be appreciated as i don't know what am i doing wrong, and i don't have much experience with Maxwell, but i am eager to learn.
http://imgur.com/a/1L2si
http://imgur.com/a/6rQkH

i think your every thing is ok you can increase or decrease the number of arrows...click on the field go to modified attribute where you can change thus check there every thing and see your H and B field vectors...

Hello, thanks for answering so quickly. I tried to increase number of vectors earlier. ' d like to get full path of vectors around the coil, if you know what i mean.

I can try to post picture of what i would like to get with simulation when i get on my pc.
I could send you my model if you have time and will to spare to check it.

Izaz Ali Shha said:
i think your every thing is ok you can increase or decrease the number of arrows...click on the field go to modified attribute where you can change thus check there every thing and see your H and B field vectors...

ya i will try but now i am busy in making some presentation after that i will contact you.thanks

Izaz Ali Shha said:
ya i will try but now i am busy in making some presentation after that i will contact you.thanks
Thanks a lot for your effort.
I'l try to simulate it further and look for help and clues around.

Also i will post updates on simulation status, and once it is completed i will post whole procces if someon is intetested in it.

I am finished with my magnetostatic coil simulation. I'll post it if anyone is interested, along with whole procedure.

Have you solved that problem?? if not, then message me i will help you..sorry for being late

Izaz Ali Shha said:
Have you solved that problem?? if not, then message me i will help you..sorry for being late

I solved it. As i am new in Maxwell, i selected only my coil for plotting field, so naturally vectors in region around it were not visible.

But i have few questions i'd like to ask you.

1. What is the difference between Solid or Stranded option for current in Maxwell ? I assumen the difference would be visible only if working in AC field with high enough frequency.

2. I tried assigning current as a matrix in Parameters section. And if i am remembering correctly, results were the same as without assigning it in parameters section. What is the use of this assigning it through matrix?

3. If i want to do same experiment with AC current(to be more precise, i want to simulate non hompgenic fields) which solver is the best to choose from? Eddy current or?

Thanks in advance.

Ans 1...in stranded field eddy current losses of the coil are not counted while in solid these are take into count...
Ans 2..No it is necessary to assign matrix it will give warning like boundary condition and excitation and 2nd thing is that you can not import this file into another software without matrix.
Ans 3...of course eddy current

Hi.
I need to use sinosuidal voltage source, my voltage is u(t)=U*sin(wt) where U is peak voltage sqrt2*30 and w=2pi*1000hz. I need to get data of i(t). I have 3 coils in parallel. do i use voltage type on windings or external circuit?

filip123456 said:
Hi.
I need to use sinosuidal voltage source, my voltage is u(t)=U*sin(wt) where U is peak voltage sqrt2*30 and w=2pi*1000hz. I need to get data of i(t). I have 3 coils in parallel. do i use voltage type on windings or external circuit?

I think both will work

Likes filip123456
Izaz Ali Shha said:
Ans 1...in stranded field eddy current losses of the coil are not counted while in solid these are take into count...
Ans 2..No it is necessary to assign matrix it will give warning like boundary condition and excitation and 2nd thing is that you can not import this file into another software without matrix.
Ans 3...of course eddy current
regarding 2nd answer... i am talking about the case where i assign excitation on both ends of coil - one current goes in the coil, other goes out. i tried simulating with and without applying matrix,and it worked.

Hi all,

I have the problem that maxwell 2D simulates wrong forces regarding permanent magnets.
At first I have simualted a solenoid with a permanent magnet, we build a prototyp afterwards and all forces were just half as simulated.
Afterwards we simulated just a N50 Magnet on a Steelplate and maxwell 2D still gives twice the force as the reality.
Solution type is Magnetostatic and geometry mode is cylindrical about z.
Did anyone else also had this kind of problem in the past? Did i configure something wrong?
thanks in advance
Michi

SmoereBroed said:
Hi all,

I have the problem that maxwell 2D simulates wrong forces regarding permanent magnets.
At first I have simualted a solenoid with a permanent magnet, we build a prototyp afterwards and all forces were just half as simulated.
Afterwards we simulated just a N50 Magnet on a Steelplate and maxwell 2D still gives twice the force as the reality.
Solution type is Magnetostatic and geometry mode is cylindrical about z.
Did anyone else also had this kind of problem in the past? Did i configure something wrong?
thanks in advance
Michi

I did not work in Maxwell 2d, but I worked in 3d. I know it happened to me that I get different results if I select region only and generate plot, or If I select region and objects. Maybe you should try to select different selection, if you understand what I want to say.

Last edited:
Im designing a 4 pole PM motor in Maxwell 16. As mentioned earlier in the post, the induced voltage from "generate quick report" is just the induced voltage due to the current. I need to find the terminal voltage and the back EMF. Any help/advice is highly appreciated.
Atanu

Hi everybody . I 've been working on ansys maxwell for last 7 years and now I can claim that I m able to solve any simulation fast and and correct .
Watch my works here
http://electechno.blogfa.com/page/english
And contact me via telegram or whatsapp by +989379371182

Hi everybody . I 've been working on ansys maxwell for last 7 years and now I can claim that I m able to solve any simulation fast and and correct .
Watch my works here
http://electechno.blogfa.com/page/english
And contact me via telegram or whatsapp by +989379371182

Hi. I have magnetic bearing with 3 coils, and I need to calculate magnetic force. 1. What solution type should I use? 2. Where do I input data like mass of my rotor or gravity that's pulling him? Rotor can be in motion or stationary.

Thanks