Need help with level curves

• Thread starter esmeco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the student is having difficulty drawing level curves for piecewise functions and is unsure of which value the constant k will hold. The student has attempted to solve the problem by drawing a level curve of level 4 and reasoning that it is the point where the function changes to the other branch. However, the student is still not sure if this solution is correct. Additionally, the student is also confused about why k must be within the range of the function and why it cannot be any other value.
esmeco
Hello!

Homework Statement

Well,I'm having a problem drawing level curves for piecewise functions.
The problem is, how do I know which value the constant k will hold?

Homework Equations

The functions is the following:

f(x,y)=4 if x^2+y^2<=16
sqrt(32-x^2-y^2) if 16<x^2+y^2<=32

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution I've attempted and which I'm not sure it's correct is:
I've drawn a level curve of level 4,because it's within the domain of f(x,y)(which is ]-infinity;32]) and it's the point where the function changes to the other branch.
Does this make sense?

Just another question,to determine the domain of the second "piece" of the function,why do we also use the sqrt(32-x^2-y^2) condition and not only just the if clause?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
esmeco said:
Hello!

Homework Statement

Well,I'm having a problem drawing level curves for piecewise functions.
The problem is, how do I know which value the constant k will hold?

Homework Equations

The functions is the following:

f(x,y)=4 if x^2+y^2<=16
sqrt(32-x^2-y^2) if 16<x^2+y^2<=32

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution I've attempted and which I'm not sure it's correct is:
I've drawn a level curve of level 4,because it's within the domain of f(x,y)(which is ]-infinity;32]) and it's the point where the function changes to the other branch.
Does this make sense?

Just another question,to determine the domain of the second "piece" of the function,why do we also use the sqrt(32-x^2-y^2) condition and not only just the if clause?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

I don't know if following would help you.

z = sqrt(32-x^2-y^2) ==> z^2 + x^2+y^2 = (sqrt(32))^2
this is a sphere.

first draw level curves for this,

and then erase all but curves that are between circles with 4 and (sqrt(32))^2

What I don't understand is,why do we use the k constant with value 4 specifically?Why couldn't we use other value?
Also,in the second piece of the function why do we equal sqrt(32-x^2-y^2)=4?Does it have anything to do with the fact that 4 is the point where the function switches to the other branch?

Level curves are curves of f(x,y, z)= k for severa; different values of k. Use whatever values of k you like.

Do the values of k must be within the range of the function?

1. What are level curves?

Level curves, also known as contour lines, are curves on a two-dimensional graph that connect points with the same value. They are used to represent a three-dimensional surface by showing points of equal elevation or value.

2. Why are level curves important?

Level curves are important because they help us visualize and understand complex mathematical and scientific data. They allow us to see patterns and relationships between variables in a way that is more intuitive and easier to interpret than raw numerical data.

3. How do you create level curves?

To create level curves, you need to plot a two-dimensional graph of your data and then connect points with the same value using a continuous line. This can be done manually by hand or using software tools such as MATLAB or Excel.

4. What information can be obtained from level curves?

Level curves can provide information about the shape and behavior of a function or surface, such as the location of maxima and minima, the direction of flow, and the rate of change. They can also help identify regions of constant value or identify patterns and trends in the data.

5. How can level curves be used in real-world applications?

Level curves have many real-world applications, such as in topographic maps to show elevation, in weather maps to show atmospheric pressure and temperature, and in engineering and design to visualize and analyze data from simulations and experiments. They can also be used in geography, geology, and biology to study and understand natural phenomena.