Physics Degree for Financial Jobs.

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is trying to decide on a major and career path. They are currently double majoring in Statistics and Finance, but also have a strong interest in physics and astrophysics. They are considering working in the financial market, but are also interested in going to graduate school for law or engineering. They are seeking advice on job opportunities and the job outlook for physics degrees in the financial market, as well as whether they should pursue a career in finance or astrophysics. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a strong math background and programming skills for careers in finance.
price3121
I'm an Undergraduate student and need help deciding on what to major in. I'm currently a double major in Statistics and Finance. I would like to work up in New York as a analyst or Hedge Fund manager of the sort. However, hedge fund manager might be unrealistic so an analyst job is probably my best bet. With luck I could slowly work my way up the corporate ladder.

I really really enjoy am intereste in physics and more specifically astrophsyics. I've recently read many things about how financial insitutions are looking for more and more physicist to break down complex financial problems. Sense I enjoy both physics (astrophysics) and the stock market (analyst side of things) I'm at a crossroads and not sure what to do. If I'm dead set on stock market work Then Statistics and Finance would be a good combination. However, physics open a lot more doors such as Law school which I have thought quite a bit about but never seriously. I also could go into some sort of engineering masters program.

I'm looking for direction on the job opportunities in physics and astrophysics. Also wondering how the job outlook is for physics degree in the financial market. If I could get in put from people that are actually in the physics field it woul greatly help. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
price3121 said:
I really really enjoy am intereste in physics and more specifically astrophsyics. I've recently read many things about how financial insitutions are looking for more and more physicist to break down complex financial problems. Sense I enjoy both physics (astrophysics) and the stock market (analyst side of things) I'm at a crossroads and not sure what to do. If I'm dead set on stock market work Then Statistics and Finance would be a good combination. However, physics open a lot more doors such as Law school which I have thought quite a bit about but never seriously. I also could go into some sort of engineering masters program.

I'm looking for direction on the job opportunities in physics and astrophysics. Also wondering how the job outlook is for physics degree in the financial market.

sure why not:
http://www.independent.co.uk/studen...inance-big-money-seeks-big-brains-400360.html

price3121 said:
Also wondering how the job outlook is for physics degree in the financial market.

Right now zero, but that doesn't have anything to do with having a physics degree.

Likes math_denial
I think you also need to distinguish between jobs that require bachelors and jobs that require advanced degrees.

Actually I know its not zero on the job outlook. I've seen many jobs in the financial market that ask specifically for math degrees or physics degree. From what I've read it has to do with the complexity of some of the derivatives.

Also, Yes I will definitely be going on to graduate school in whatever my degree is in.

My question is, are you certain that you want to take up a financial/analyst/hedge fund job, seeing how you described your interest to be in astrophysics?

Likes math_denial
I have interest in both.

price3121 said:
I have interest in both.

Well, all majors pretty much open up a door for Law, it just depends on your GPA/LSAT score.

I guess my only point is that most people who are considering these sort of analyst/hedge fund positions are enticed by the money/prestige and not so much the actual work involved. Where exactly would you want to work, for both the hedge fund/analyst positions and the astrophysics route? What would you do with a law degree?

price, I am not in physics and not working in finance - finishing up my BS Math.

I will pass on some of the general advice I got from a friend who is employed on wall street, and he is lucky enough to be with a employer that did not go under. His credentials include BS Math, and MS Financial Engineering (Mathematical Finance). Becoming a quant is very hard and it goes a long way if you graduate from a known program because you can secure internships after graduation from masters. You should learn as much math as possible because you can always pick up the business side of things on your own. You should be "exceptional" in C++ programming. They want to hire you for your quantitative abilities. Regarding my friend, after undergrad he ended up becoming an entry level actuary and passed about 5 exams in 4 years. This was essential for him since he was graduating with a math background and needed experience. Not to mention he was able to pay off his student loans and save up nicely. He was able to distinguish himself, and ended up at the Stanford. From there it was just all about working hard and securing an internship upon graduation. He says going to a top program opened up A LOT of doors.

Finance? Now? Better have a plan B.

Likes math_denial

What is a physics degree?

A physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves the development and application of theories, mathematical models, and experiments to understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

Why would someone with a physics degree pursue a career in finance?

Many people with physics degrees choose to pursue careers in finance because of their strong analytical and mathematical skills. These skills are highly valued in the financial industry, where professionals need to make data-driven decisions and analyze complex systems.

What types of financial jobs can a physics degree lead to?

A physics degree can lead to a variety of financial jobs, such as quantitative analyst, financial analyst, risk analyst, data scientist, and investment banker. These roles require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are key strengths of someone with a physics background.

Do financial companies value a physics degree?

Yes, financial companies highly value candidates with a physics degree because of their strong analytical and problem-solving skills. These skills are crucial in the fast-paced and data-driven world of finance.

Is a physics degree enough to enter the finance industry?

A physics degree alone may not be enough to enter the finance industry, as many financial jobs require additional qualifications or experience. However, a physics degree can provide a strong foundation for further education or training in finance, and can make a candidate stand out in the job market.