Connecting HDD Motors to Microcontrollers

• Thread starter anita1984
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hdd Motors
In summary, the conversation discusses using HDD motors with a microcontroller. The process of connecting the wires and controlling the motor is explained, and a Basic Stamp starter kit is suggested. It is also mentioned that these motors are typically 3-phase AC motors and a 3-leg inverter set up and uC are needed for control. A resource for implementing this is provided, and it is suggested to post this topic in an EE forum for more responses.
anita1984
Hello Forum , anybody has an experience with HDD motors , how can be connected to a microcontroller ?
Thank you in advance
Anita

Engineering news on Phys.org
How many wires? If there are four to six it is probably a pulse moter. If you do not know which wires to pulse when you will have to figure out by process of elimination. It is not that hard to do I used a dc power supply or battery, connecting the wires two at a time in a sequince that will rotate the motor in one direction. Use low voltage when tinkering as not to damage the motor. To control I would sugest a Basic Stamp. You can buy a starter kit from Parallax for about $149. This gives you the Stamp, PBaisc programming language, serial cable to connect to your computer, 300 page manual, and carrier board. I have used these before and they are awsome. Some things can be powered directly from the basic stamp but if the motor requires more amprage than the stamp can supply you may need additional circuitry between stamp and motor.

Hope this helps
Jslade

I've taken them apart and modified them, but never really used them for any real application. I was going to put one in an RC plane but it ended up being to heavy.

They are usually just simple 3-phase (3-wires) AC motors. Making a controller to control them is easy, getting them out of the HDD is the real tough part. You will need a 3-leg inverter set up and a uC to control all 6 FETs. Sin-wave modulation is probably the easiest to implement but space vector modulation will give you the best performance.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/AC Induction Motor 00984a.pdf

FYI, you would probably get more responses if you put this in the EE forum.

1. How do I physically connect a HDD motor to a microcontroller?

To physically connect a HDD motor to a microcontroller, you will need to use jumper wires to connect the motor's power and ground pins to the microcontroller's power and ground pins. Additionally, you will need to use a motor driver circuit to control the motor's speed and direction.

2. What type of motor driver circuit is best for connecting a HDD motor to a microcontroller?

The best type of motor driver circuit for connecting a HDD motor to a microcontroller is a H-bridge circuit. This type of circuit allows for bidirectional control of the motor's speed and direction.

3. Can I use any microcontroller to control a HDD motor?

Yes, you can use any microcontroller as long as it has enough digital output pins to control the motor driver circuit. However, it is recommended to use a microcontroller with a high clock speed and sufficient memory for smoother motor control.

4. How do I program the microcontroller to control the HDD motor?

You can program the microcontroller using a programming language such as C or Arduino's integrated development environment (IDE). You will need to write code to control the motor driver circuit, which will in turn control the speed and direction of the HDD motor.

5. Can I use PWM to control the speed of the HDD motor?

Yes, you can use pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the speed of the HDD motor. This technique involves rapidly turning the motor on and off to vary the average voltage supplied to the motor, thus controlling its speed. However, make sure to use a high frequency PWM signal to avoid any interference with the motor's operation.