Calculating Final NaCl Concentration After Dilution

• Thread starter neoking77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, to calculate the final NaCl concentration after dilution, use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. It is important to use consistent units, such as milligrams per liter (mg/L) or grams per liter (g/L), for accurate calculations. Use a container with accurate volume measurements, such as a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask. If diluting NaCl with another solution, the concentration of the other solution must be taken into account in the calculation. It is not necessary to use the entire initial volume for the dilution, but it is important to
neoking77
Hello all, I just want to confirm that I am on the right track for a certain question regarding dilution and concentration

Q: Addition of 2uL of 50mM NaCl to a 30 uL reaction gives a final NaCl concentration of ______ M.

Attempt:
so because you add 2uL to 30uL, the dilution is (2 / 2+30) = 1/16
Then I multiplied the dilution with the concentration for the new concentration
1/16 x 50mM = 3.125 mM

Finally, I converted the mM back to M
3.125 mM (1mol / 1000mmol)
answer = 3.125 x 10^-3M

does this look ok?

thank you in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me.

I can confirm that your calculations and approach are correct. You have correctly used the dilution equation (C1V1 = C2V2) to determine the final concentration of NaCl. Your conversion from mM to M is also accurate. Overall, your answer of 3.125 x 10^-3M is correct. Well done!

1. How do I calculate the final NaCl concentration after dilution?

To calculate the final NaCl concentration after dilution, you need to know the initial concentration of NaCl, the volume of the initial solution, and the volume of the final solution. The formula for calculating final concentration is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume.

2. What units should I use when calculating final NaCl concentration after dilution?

The units used for both the initial and final concentrations and volumes must be the same in order for the calculation to be accurate. It is important to use consistent units, such as milligrams per liter (mg/L) or grams per liter (g/L).

3. Can I use any container to measure the volume of the NaCl solution?

No, it is important to use a container that has accurate volume measurements, such as a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask. Using a container with inaccurate volume measurements can result in an incorrect final concentration calculation.

4. What if I am diluting NaCl with another solution instead of water?

If you are diluting NaCl with another solution, you will need to take into account the concentration of the other solution in the calculation. The formula for this scenario is C1V1 = C2V2(C2'), where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, V2 is the final volume, and C2' is the concentration of the other solution.

5. Is it necessary to use the entire initial volume for the dilution?

No, it is not necessary to use the entire initial volume for the dilution. You can use any volume as long as you know the initial concentration and volume, and the desired final concentration and volume. However, it is important to make sure the dilution is well-mixed to ensure an accurate final concentration calculation.