Tensions over a pulley, 3 objects connected with 2 strings

In summary, the downward acceleration of the masses is 4.42527 m/s2 and the tension in the string connecting the masses is 52.4036 N.
gmorrill

Homework Statement

The string connecting the m1 and the m2 passes over a light frictionless pulley. Given m1 = 6.51kg, m2 = 7.48kg, m3 = 9.75kg. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

1) Find the downward acceleration of m2 mass. Answer in units of m/s2

2) Find the tension in the string connecting the m1 and m2 masses. Answer in units of N.

3) Find the tension in the string connecting the m2 and the m3 masses. Answer in units of N.

Picture is embedded in PDF, but easy to describe:
A single pulley hanging from ceiling, on the right side of the pulley the string goes down to connect to m1. On the left side of the pulley the string goes down to connect to m2. Then a string connects m2 to m3 below it.

I've already solved #1 and #2, I'm stuck on #3.

Homework Equations

a = [(m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2)] * g
T = [(2m1 * m2) / (m1 + m2)] * g
derived in class

The Attempt at a Solution

I extended those formulas to 3 masses (instead of just 2) to calculate the acceleration 4.42527 m/s2 and T1 = 92.6065 N.

I've tried drawing force diagrams and adding the components to find T2 several ways, but I'm getting confused.

This is a practice homework where we're given the answers - then our real homework is through UT and uses the same problems with different numbers; so I know my answers to 1 and 2 are correct, and #3 I'm not getting the correct answer. The answer is supposed to be 52.4036 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces on m3. There is m3*g down and the Tension up. Use
sum of forces = ma

Heh, figures it's way simpler than I was trying. I was trying to add the Tension of the first string over the pulley along with the weight of m1, then subtracting the weight of m2 and m3.

Many thanks!

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, and a rope or cable that wraps around the wheel. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move objects. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the other end of the rope pulls on the object attached to it, causing it to move.

2. How are objects connected with strings in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, objects are connected with strings by wrapping the strings around the pulley wheel. One end of the string is attached to an object, while the other end is attached to a fixed point or another object. This allows for the transfer of force and movement between the objects.

3. What causes tensions to occur in a pulley system?

Tensions occur in a pulley system when there is a force applied to one end of the string attached to an object. This causes the string to pull on the object, creating a tension force. Tensions also occur in the other strings connected to the system, as they are all connected and affected by the same force.

4. How does the number of strings affect tensions in a pulley system?

The number of strings in a pulley system affects the tensions in the system. As more strings are added, the overall tension in the system decreases because the force is distributed among the strings. For example, in a system with two strings, the tension in each string will be half of the force applied. In a system with three strings, the tension in each string will be one-third of the force applied.

5. What happens to tensions when objects are added or removed from a pulley system?

When objects are added or removed from a pulley system, the tensions in the system change. Adding more objects increases the overall tension in the system, as the force is distributed among more objects. Removing objects decreases the overall tension, as there are fewer objects to share the force. Additionally, adding or removing objects can change the direction of the forces in the system, causing the tensions to change accordingly.