Strange behavior of Forum text editor

• Thread starter Bob S
  • Start date
In summary, the user is trying to capitalize the word "electric" in a post, but the text editor keeps changing it to lowercase due to an automatic library linking feature. They discover that enclosing the word in [noparse] tags or placing it at the start of a line can prevent the autolinking. However, this does not work for all variations of the word "electric". The user suggests typing the word in black or placing a space before it to avoid the autolinking.
Bob S
I started a post with the word "Electric". After submission, the post started with the word "electric". I tried to capitalize "electric" three times, and the text editor thrice changed it to "electric". Well. if ee cummings can do it, i can too.

bob s

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because you've got automatic library linking turned on. Turn it off in your user control panel, and that will work.

I will hazard a guess that using the [noparse][noparse][/noparse] tags around the word electric, i.e. [noparse][noparse]Electric[/noparse][/noparse] will not trigger the autolink feature and the capitalization will be preserved.

I'm trying it here: [noparse]Electric[/noparse] . Yup, seems to work.

It shouldn't happen with "electric" on its own, since there isn't a library entry with that name.

It can happen with "electric field", "electric displacement field, or "electric units".

A quick way to stop it is to type the word/phrase in black each time: Electric field Electric field :wink:

Or place it at the start of a line (other than the first line), since that puts it after a return tag, which spoils the autolinking (conversely, if you want the autolinking at the start of a line, insert a space first:
Electric units :redface:
Electric units :smile:).

[noparse][noparse][/noparse] did not work for me. Here is an example. [noparse]Torque[/noparse] is moment. But enclosing the word in [noparse]Word[/noparse] does work. Here is an example. Stress and pressure have like units. Here is the same sentence without enclosing the first word in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Stress and pressure have like units.

1. Why is the text editor not allowing me to format my text correctly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a glitch in the system, a problem with your internet connection, or a compatibility issue with your device. It is recommended to try refreshing the page or using a different browser to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, you can contact the forum's technical support for further assistance.

2. Why is the formatting of my text changing after I save my post?

This could be due to the forum's text editor automatically applying certain formatting rules or converting the text to a different format. It is recommended to check the forum's guidelines for text formatting and make sure your post follows those guidelines. If the issue continues, you can reach out to the forum's moderator for clarification.

3. How do I insert images or videos into my forum post?

The process for inserting media into a forum post may vary depending on the platform. In most cases, there should be an "insert image" or "insert video" button in the text editor toolbar. If you are unable to find these options, you can consult the forum's documentation or reach out to the forum's moderator for assistance.

4. Why is the text editor not showing up on my mobile device?

Some forum text editors may not be optimized for mobile devices, or they may require a specific app to be downloaded in order to function properly. It is recommended to check the forum's guidelines for mobile usage or contact the technical support for further assistance.

5. Is it possible to change the font or text color in the forum text editor?

In most cases, forum text editors have a limited number of font options and do not allow for custom text colors. This is to ensure consistency and readability across all posts on the forum. If you have a specific request for font or text color, you can contact the forum's moderator for further guidance.