Unprofessional to write a CV in the first person?

• Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv
In summary: So instead of saying"I managed a team of 10 engineers for 5 years"You could say- managed team of 10 engineers (2007-2012)
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am looking for a teaching job (after 10 years of teaching at one place) so I am updating my CV. I am wondering if it is considered improper to use a personal tense ("During that period I wrote a physics book on..." or "I taught each of theses classes at least six times over the years.." etc ).

I have tried to avoid doing that but I find it awkward. For example, it feels strange to write
"Each of these classes were taught at least six times over the years". That does not convey the information that I want to convey. And it would be even more strange to write "Each of these classes were taught by me at least six times ...".

I would like to have your opinon, whether you are a job seeker or an employer.

Thank you

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, for a CV you want to keep it brief while at the same time conveying as much information as possible. So it's acceptable to use point form and not worry about proper sentence structure.

Rather than saying: "During that perioud I wrote a physics book on ..."
I would say:
- wrote physics textbook dealing with fundamental optics (2002-2004)

Rather than: "I taught each of theses classes at least six times over the years..."
I would say:
- instructed Physics 330: Statistical Methods for Troglodytes (2001-2007)

In the cover letter on the other hand you want to make sure that you use proper grammar and sentence structure. In that case it's fine to use first person.

Choppy said:
Remember, for a CV you want to keep it brief while at the same time conveying as much information as possible. So it's acceptable to use point form and not worry about proper sentence structure.

Rather than saying: "During that perioud I wrote a physics book on ..."
I would say:
- wrote physics textbook dealing with fundamental optics (2002-2004)

Rather than: "I taught each of theses classes at least six times over the years..."
I would say:
- instructed Physics 330: Statistical Methods for Troglodytes (2001-2007)

In the cover letter on the other hand you want to make sure that you use proper grammar and sentence structure. In that case it's fine to use first person.

Thank you. Your feedback is appreciated.
You are right, I was losing sight of the essence of a CV and I was babbling too much.

Thanks!

PS: How did you know that I taught Statistical Mehods for Troglodytes??

Also remember that managers scan CV's and resumes, they don't actually read them as if they were a novel. The problem with using "I" is that it eats up valuable space.

1. Why is it considered unprofessional to write a CV in the first person?

Using the first person in a CV can make it seem less objective and more personal, which goes against the professional tone typically expected in a CV. It can also make the document sound less formal and may give the impression that the applicant is not taking the application seriously.

2. Can I use the first person when describing my achievements and experiences in a CV?

No, it is generally recommended to use the third person when describing your achievements and experiences in a CV. This allows for a more objective and professional tone, and avoids making the document sound like a personal statement or biography.

3. Will using the first person make my CV stand out?

Using the first person in a CV may make it stand out, but not in a positive way. It may make the document appear unprofessional and could potentially harm your chances of being considered for a job. It is best to stick to the standard format and tone for a CV.

4. Are there any exceptions to using the first person in a CV?

In some creative fields, using the first person in a CV may be more acceptable. However, it is still important to maintain a professional tone and avoid sounding too informal or personal.

5. Can I use the first person in my cover letter instead of my CV?

No, it is generally recommended to use the same format and tone throughout your job application materials. This includes using the third person in both your CV and cover letter to maintain a consistent and professional tone.