Transient Heat Transfer Gods?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a transient heat transfer problem involving a simple stirling engine schematic. The person is struggling to model the changes in pressure and temperature caused by heating one end of the pipe and is looking for guidance on how to approach the problem. The suggestion of using the Schmidt analysis and references to other resources are also mentioned.
a.mlw.walker
Hi

Anyone with experience with transient heat transfer please can you help me.

I have attached an image that is a simple stirling engine schematic. One half is essentially a pipe that is heated from one end and kept at room temperature at the other end. Inside it is a displacer that is not sealed against the walls of the pipe.

The displacer is attached to a piston, in the other part of the chamber, that IS sealed against th walls.

I know all the geometry of the system.

My problem is doing the transient heat transfer to the gas inside generated by heating one end of the pipe.

When the gas is heated, the average system temperature rises. The increases the average system pressure. this pushes the piston back, which inturn moves the displacer a little, adjusting the volume of gas a the hot end of the pipe. This in turn affects the system pressure and temperature etc etc.

Can anyone help me approach this transient problem. I just can't find a successful way to model this over time, there are so many things changing, all because I put some heat in!

Thanks

Attachments

• striling chamber.bmp
    113.3 KB · Views: 548
Engineering news on Phys.org
To start with, try out the Schmidt analysis, but keep in mind that you have a gamma type engine when using phase angles. If you need more accurate/complex models there are plenty of books on the subject - Allan Organ has a few decent ones.

Attachments

• Optimum Stirling engine geometry.pdf
    148.5 KB · Views: 654
for reaching out for help with your transient heat transfer problem. It sounds like you have a complex and interesting system with your Stirling engine. Transient heat transfer can definitely be a challenging problem to solve, especially when there are multiple factors at play like in your system.

One approach you could consider is using a numerical simulation method, such as finite element analysis or finite difference methods, to model the heat transfer over time. These methods allow you to break down your system into smaller elements or cells and solve for the temperature and pressure changes at each time step. This can give you a more accurate understanding of how the heat is transferred and how it affects the system as a whole.

Another approach could be to experimentally measure the temperature and pressure changes in your system over time and use that data to validate your numerical simulations. This can help you fine-tune your model and make it more accurate.

It's also important to consider all the factors that could affect the heat transfer in your system, such as convection, radiation, and conduction. Make sure to account for these in your model and consider their impact on the overall system.

Overall, solving transient heat transfer problems can be a complex and iterative process, but with careful consideration and a thorough understanding of your system, you can successfully model and predict the behavior of your Stirling engine. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is transient heat transfer?

Transient heat transfer refers to the process of heat transfer that occurs when there is a change in temperature or heat source over time. This can be seen in situations such as heating or cooling a substance, or when there is a sudden change in environmental temperature.

2. How do the "Transient Heat Transfer Gods" relate to this concept?

The phrase "Transient Heat Transfer Gods" is often used metaphorically to refer to the complex and unpredictable nature of transient heat transfer. It emphasizes the idea that there are many factors and variables that influence heat transfer, making it difficult to fully understand and predict.

3. What factors affect transient heat transfer?

There are several factors that can affect transient heat transfer, including the properties of the materials involved (such as thermal conductivity and specific heat), the temperature difference between the materials, the duration of the heat transfer, and the presence of any external forces or influences.

4. How is transient heat transfer studied and analyzed?

Transient heat transfer is studied and analyzed through mathematical equations and numerical simulations. These methods allow scientists to predict how heat will transfer in different scenarios and to understand the underlying principles and mechanisms involved in the process.

5. Why is understanding transient heat transfer important?

Understanding transient heat transfer is crucial in many fields, including engineering, meteorology, and materials science. It allows us to predict and control how heat will transfer in various systems and environments, which is essential for the design and optimization of many technologies and processes.