To find the diameter of the circle (Two dimensional Geometry)

In summary, the question asks for the diameter of a circle circumscribed around a triangle with points A and B on the coordinate axes. The distances m and n of the tangent lines from the origin to points A and B respectively are given. By drawing a diagram and using the fact that the shortest line joining a line and a point is perpendicular to the original line, one can deduce that the diameter of the circle is equal to (m+n)/2. This can also be reasoned by considering the right-angled triangle formed by the tangent lines and any point on the circumference of the circle. Therefore, the correct answer is option (d) (1/2)(m+n).
snshusat161

Homework Statement

A line meets the coordinates axes in A and B. A circle is circumscribed about the triangle OAB. If m and n are the distances of the tangent to the circle at the origin from the point A and B respectively, the diameter of the circle is:

(a) m(m + n)

(b) m + n

(c) n(m + n)

(d) (1/2)(m + n)

Homework Equations

nothing so special. I've included some equations with the attempt I've submitted here.

The Attempt at a Solution

let coordinates of A and B are (a, 0) and (0, b) respectively. Since 0A and AB are perpendicular to each other therefore the center of the circle lies at the midpoint of AB and AB is the diameter.

so the length of diameter is [tex]\sqrt{}a^2 + b^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
i agree with you if the m = OA & n = OB, however the way i read it is (which may be wrong as the question is a little ambiguous):
- the edge of the circle passes through the origin
- draw the tangent line to the circle through the origin
- now the distance m will be the perpindicular from the tangent line to A and similar for n

that makes it a fair bit trickier, but you may be able to make some headway by looking at similar trinagles (and it gives me one of the multiple choice answers above)

Last edited:
Thanks, You have a given a nice hint and it may really solve the problem.

Last edited:
snshusat161 said:

Homework Statement

A line meets the coordinates axes in A and B. A circle is circumscribed about the triangle OAB.
from reading the red bit below
snshusat161 said:
If m and n are the distances of the tangent to the circle at the origin from the point A and B respectively, the diameter of the circle is:

though as i said, I don't think its written very clear, but that's how i'd interpret it

I still can't understand this sentence but the hint you have given is working so this sentence should mean the same.

it may help to know if you have a line & a point, the shortest line joining them will be perpidicular to the original line

that makes it a fair bit trickier, but you may be able to make some headway by looking at similar trinagles (and it gives me one of the multiple choice answers above)

Can you explain this a little more. Actually I'm in need of such tricks which can solve problems in very less time. We only get 1 minute to solve each problem. And all questions are objective type question so I don't need the actual method but the final answer.

at first glance you could rule out a) & c) as the units are incorrect

then the key is always to draw a good diagram, for this case as follows
- coordinate axes
- line through A & B (make these different lengths to help)
- draw the hypotenuse which is the diameter of the circle, as you mentioned
- mark the centre of the circle
- try & draw a cricle as best as possible around the triangle
- now draw the tangent through the origin
- then draw the radius from the centre of circle to the origin
- note its is perpindicular to the tangent line as it must be
- now draw lines perpinduclar to the tanget through A & B to give m & n (they are parallel to the radius)

so you should see one of m or n is larger than the radius & one smaller, which should lead you to your question

sounds like a lot, but you shoudl be able to do it pretty quickly

thanks. That dimensional analysis was very good trick to rule out some options but rest I'm unable to do it on exam because here they don't permit us to use anything except our pen. No rounder, no divider, no scale, no calculator, nothing. And to draw and find out exactly is very uncertain

if you draw well enough it should be obvious, if C is the centre of the circle then AC = r = CB, which with a little thought, show:
r = (m + n)/2

but just looking a) & c) fall away dimensionly, or if you assume m,n>1 they will be much bigger than your diagram, so invalid

similarly
b) = 2 d)
so hopefully you can rule one out easily

Last edited:
I've drawn for this question. Let the point of intersection of tangent from O and tangent from A be P and point of intersection of tangent from O and tangent from B be Q then ABQP looks like a rectangle. So it give a misconception that OC (radius) is equal to m and n. So If someone follow the diagram then he will surely mark on the option (d).

oh sorry! Question asked for diameter. You are right.

snshusat161 said:
oh sorry! Question asked for diameter. You are right.

Just for future reference; any point along the circumference of a circle that creates a tangent to the circle will:
a)be a distance [tex]r[/tex](radius) from the origin;
b)form a right-angled triangle along the diameter of the circle with any other point on the circumference.

Thanks, It will help me a lot on my examination.

What is the formula for finding the diameter of a circle?

The formula for finding the diameter of a circle is:
d = 2r
where d is the diameter and r is the radius.

What do I need to know to find the diameter of a circle?

To find the diameter of a circle, you will need to know either the radius or the circumference of the circle. If you know the radius, you can use the formula d = 2r. If you know the circumference, you can use the formula d = c/π, where c is the circumference and π is approximately 3.14.

Can I use a ruler to measure the diameter of a circle?

No, you cannot use a ruler to measure the diameter of a circle. A ruler only measures straight lines, and the diameter of a circle is a curved line. You will need to use mathematical formulas to calculate the diameter of a circle.

What is the difference between diameter and radius?

The diameter of a circle is the distance across the circle passing through the center, while the radius is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circumference. The diameter is always twice the length of the radius.

Can I find the diameter of an oval or ellipse?

Yes, you can find the diameter of an oval or ellipse using the formula d = 2√(a²+b²), where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the oval or ellipse. This formula will give you the longest distance across the oval or ellipse.