Need Advice on summer studying, books, calculus

In summary, the speaker is a recent physics graduate who will be attending graduate school in the fall. They feel they have gaps in their knowledge due to also focusing on philosophy, and want to spend their free time this summer re-learning calculus and other math topics. They are seeking recommendations for books, including Spivak, Courant, and Apostol. However, it is suggested that it may be more beneficial to focus on filling gaps in their physics knowledge instead.
vtakhist
Hello.
Some background on me:
Just graduated with physics major and am going to graduate school this fall. However, due to additional focus on philosophy I couldn't focus on properly learning either math or physics. I am relatively capable, however, I have small knowledge with many gaps to work with. Now that I am will be done with this, I want to learn properly both physics and math, focusing all my time only on them.

I have ~3-4 month free this summer, and I would like to spend them re-learning calculus (properly) and a little bit of other math (linear algebra, etc.) so I will have a good command of the subject before focusing on re-learning physics properly in grad. school (as I mentioned, I am fairly capable but have many gaps in knowledge).

1) Is this a reasonable task? (considering I will have 3-4 month)

2) If yes, which books should I look for? I am interested in something that will allow me to have great command of calculus and will also allow me to have a good foundation to properly learn advance math after. I heard people recommending Spivak, Courant, Apostol.

I looked through Apostol, and 2 Volumes contain all the necessary material I would like to learn. Would it be possible to get good grasp of the material and finish the volumes during summer? Or, what would be a better route?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it can never hurt to learn the material from Apostol. But I guess someone with a bachelor's in physics will have enough knowledge of calculus and linear algebra for physicists (if you did mechanics, em, qm, you are probably confortable with the computational sides). I don't think the material from Apostol will help you much for physics grad school: it's nice to be able to prove Bolzano Weierstrass' theorem, but it doesn't make general relativity easier, so to speak.

It's probably wiser to fill the gaps in your physics knowledge.

1. How can I effectively study during the summer?

The key to effective summer studying is creating a schedule and sticking to it. Set aside specific times each day to study and make sure to take breaks in between. Also, find a quiet and comfortable study space and eliminate distractions such as social media.

2. What books should I read to improve my calculus skills?

Some recommended books for improving calculus skills are "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "The Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian Banner. It is also helpful to practice with textbooks and workbooks that have a variety of problems and exercises.

3. How can I stay motivated to study during the summer?

It can be challenging to stay motivated during the summer, but setting specific goals and rewarding yourself for reaching them can help. Also, try to find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated.

4. What are some tips for understanding calculus concepts?

First, make sure to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of algebra and trigonometry. Then, break down complex calculus concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. Practice with different types of problems and use visual aids, such as graphs, to better understand the concepts.

5. How can I prepare for a calculus class or exam during the summer?

To prepare for a calculus class or exam, review and practice the material from previous math courses. Also, familiarize yourself with the course syllabus and any recommended textbooks. You can also reach out to the professor for any additional resources or advice on how to prepare for the class or exam.