Impedance of free space/wave impedance

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the impedance of free space is the greatest among any material due to its small refractive index and natural ratio of electric to magnetic fields. This does not necessarily mean that it has the most difficulty for electromagnetic waves to travel through it. In certain materials, such as ferrite, the impedance can be much higher due to their high magnetic permeability. The refractive index in these materials is also complex, taking into account the real and imaginary parts of the index, which can play a role in the absorption of radiation. However, in the expression for wave impedance, only the real part of the index of refraction is considered. Overall, the concept of impedance is closely related to resistance but is a frequency domain quantity and is best defined
fluidistic
Gold Member
If I'm not wrong, empty space (vacuum) has the greatest impedance amongst any material. Because [tex]\eta = \frac{1}{n} \sqrt {\frac{\mu _0}{\epsilon}}[/tex] if I'm not wrong and n=1 (smallest value possible) for free space. What does this mean that free space has a big impedance? It makes the greatest opposition to electromagnetic waves? I'm not getting the meaning of impedance in this case.
P.S.: I've searched in wikipedia, also wave impedance but didn't find any explanation about the meaning of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not always true. In a material with high mu but not very high epsilon, the impedance would be much higher.

Don't think of it as opposition, that's not correct. Think of it like this: the natural ratio of electric to magnetic fields for waves in that medium is the impedance. It's not a statement about the difficulty of the waves travels.

Antiphon said:
It is not always true. In a material with high mu but not very high epsilon, the impedance would be much higher.
Ok I trust you, although I've some doubt since n would/could be big in those materials? I'd appreciate if you have the name of at least 1 material whose impedance is greater than free space; if you don't, no need to lose your time searching this for me, I'll trust you anyway.
Don't think of it as opposition, that's not correct. Think of it like this: the natural ratio of electric to magnetic fields for waves in that medium is the impedance. It's not a statement about the difficulty of the waves travels.
Ah ok, so I should only look at the mathematical definition. I wonder why they called this "impedance".
Thanks for your explanation.

Impedance is a close cousin to resistance. The names are motivated by the same concepts but impedance is a frequency domain quantity and is complex (R+iX) where the real part is the resistance.

Antiphon said:
Impedance is a close cousin to resistance. The names are motivated by the same concepts but impedance is a frequency domain quantity and is complex (R+iX) where the real part is the resistance.
Ok so there's definitely a relation with the electrical impedance (which I was aware of). It's not obvious to me from the definition of the free space impedance.

It is the same concept (and units) except for the definition. In a circuit it's the ratio of V to I at a point in a circuit. In the full field problem it's the ratio of certain components of the E and H fields.

A ferrite is an insulating material where mu can be hundreds of times greater than epsilon. These are used as cores in high frequency coils in circuits.

Antiphon said:
It is the same concept (and units) except for the definition. In a circuit it's the ratio of V to I at a point in a circuit. In the full field problem it's the ratio of certain components of the E and H fields.

A ferrite is an insulating material where mu can be hundreds of times greater than epsilon. These are used as cores in high frequency coils in circuits.

Thanks once again for this reply.
Does it has any sense to talk about a refractive index in ferrite? I know light gets absorbed (and thus refracted?)/mostly reflected in metals. Although ferrite is a composed material, I think that some light can pass through the ferrite a small distance.
Anyway the refractive index appears in the definition of the impedance (in my class notes, but I didn't find it in wikipedia), hence my question.

fluidistic said:
Thanks once again for this reply.
Does it has any sense to talk about a refractive index in ferrite? I know light gets absorbed (and thus refracted?)/mostly reflected in metals. Although ferrite is a composed material, I think that some light can pass through the ferrite a small distance.
Anyway the refractive index appears in the definition of the impedance (in my class notes, but I didn't find it in wikipedia), hence my question.

Refractive index is also a complex quantity:

[tex]\tilde{n}=n + ik[/tex]

where n is the real part of the refractive index (the "normal" one that we use e.g. in Snell's law), and k is the extinction coefficient, which becomes important when the material is absorbing radiation. This can be resonant absorption, as in a dielectric, or conduction band absorption, as in a semi-conducting or conducting material.

So yes, ferrite has an index of refraction, but the complex index is large, because it is absorbing. With regards to the wave impedance expression, I am fairly sure it is only the real part of the index of refraction that enters in, since that expression is for perfect dielectrics (so it would make sense to apply it to ferrite anyway).

It is best defined in terms of complex epsilon and mu. The index of refraction is an incomplete description of a medium.

Ok thanks to both, I get it. Very interesting.

What is the impedance of free space?

The impedance of free space, also known as the wave impedance, is a measure of how much resistance a wave encounters as it travels through a medium. In free space, the impedance is approximately 377 ohms.

How is the impedance of free space related to electromagnetic waves?

The impedance of free space is directly related to the speed of light and the permittivity and permeability of free space. It is a fundamental property of electromagnetic waves and helps describe how they propagate through space.

Why is the impedance of free space important in antenna design?

The impedance of free space is important in antenna design because it is used to match the impedance of the antenna to the impedance of the transmission line. This helps maximize the transfer of energy from the antenna to the transmission line and ultimately to the receiver.

Does the impedance of free space change with frequency?

No, the impedance of free space does not change with frequency. It remains constant at approximately 377 ohms for all frequencies. However, the impedance of materials can vary with frequency and can affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

How is the impedance of free space related to the characteristic impedance of a transmission line?

The impedance of free space is equal to the characteristic impedance of a lossless transmission line. This means that when the impedance of an antenna is matched to the impedance of the transmission line, there will be minimal reflection and maximum power transfer.