Metal Detector Probe: Find Iron Rod in Concrete Walls

In summary, a metal detector probe is a handheld device that emits an electromagnetic field to detect metal objects in various materials, including concrete. It works by detecting changes in the magnetic field caused by metal objects and can find iron rods in concrete walls, although there may be limitations depending on factors such as depth and interference. The accuracy of the probe in finding iron rods will also depend on various factors.
Su Solberg
Hi guys,

I am working on a Automation project and I am wondering whether there is any probe that can emit signal to a standard PLC when iron rod is found inside a concrete wall.

Personally, I hope it can be avaliable from RS.

Thanks for your kind help in advence.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Haha, I found the correct name of this kind of sensor.

It's "Inductive proximity sensor" which can be find out easly in RS.

I found this in "Industrial Motor Contorl 5th edition , Stephen L.Herman" It's really a nice electrical book to mechanical engineer.:!)

What is a metal detector probe?

A metal detector probe is a handheld device used to detect metal objects in various materials, including concrete. It typically consists of a handle, a shaft, and a probe tip that emits an electromagnetic field to identify metal objects.

How does a metal detector probe work?

Metal detector probes work by emitting a magnetic field from the probe tip. When the field encounters a metal object, it creates an eddy current in the metal, which in turn produces its own magnetic field. This change in the magnetic field is detected by the probe and alerts the user to the presence of metal.

Can a metal detector probe find iron rods in concrete walls?

Yes, a metal detector probe can detect iron rods in concrete walls. Iron is a highly conductive metal, making it easy for the probe to detect its presence. However, the depth at which the probe can detect the iron rod will depend on factors such as the strength of the probe and the thickness of the concrete.

Are there any limitations to using a metal detector probe to find iron rods in concrete walls?

Yes, there are limitations to using a metal detector probe for this purpose. If the iron rod is deeply embedded in the concrete or covered by a thick layer of other materials, it may be difficult for the probe to detect it. Additionally, other factors such as the presence of other metals or interference from electrical sources may also affect the accuracy of the probe.

How accurate is a metal detector probe in finding iron rods in concrete walls?

The accuracy of a metal detector probe in finding iron rods in concrete walls will depend on various factors, including the quality and sensitivity of the probe, the thickness and composition of the concrete, and the depth at which the iron rod is located. In ideal conditions, a metal detector probe can accurately detect iron rods up to a depth of several inches.