How Do I Calculate Design Pressure from Operating Pressure?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a LPG metering skid with an operating pressure of 23.84 bar and flow rate of 97.44 to 103.9 m3/hr. The design pressure for the system depends on the type of system and fluid being used, and can be calculated by following related standards and considering factors such as pressure drop and fluid velocity. More specific details, such as the type of components being designed and the code the system is built to, are needed to provide further assistance.
alirafsan
hello

how i calculate design pressure if i have operating pressure?
eg: i have opearting pressure 23.84, how i calculate design pressure.
please help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there, you have to be more specific, what kind of a system you are designing? what is the operating pressure you have mentioned is intended for (equipment, fixture...etc). I cannot help you unless you provide more details about the system you are talking about, and the pressure you mentioned (23.84) is it psi, bar !

In general the design pressure for any system depends on the type of system (water, steam, compressed air, fuel ...etc) once you have determined the working fluid you can follow related standards for the design starting with the hydraulically most demanding point, then by using your selected pressure drop (based on the type of fliud) you can perfrom your sizing. The design pressure given in standards such as ( ASHRAE, British standrads..etc) will give you the optimum design pressure or velocity of fluid that will spare your system from noise, corrosion or excessive energy costs associated with high pressure drops.

You have to provide more details!

hi,

sorry for that, actually i want to design a LPG metering skid whose operating pressure is given as 23.84bar and and flow rate is 97.44 to 103.9 m3/hr.

Still not clear enough, what component or components you are designing ( pipes, vessels, compressors...)?

its a 6" pipe sch 40.

alirafsan said:
hello

how i calculate design pressure if i have operating pressure?
eg: i have opearting pressure 23.84, how i calculate design pressure.
please help me.

What code is the system built to?

CS

yes its carbon steel

alirafsan said:
yes its carbon steel

Are you sure?

yes, its carbon steel. how can i design the flow metering skid?

1. What is design pressure?

Design pressure is the maximum pressure that a structure or system is designed to withstand. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. Why is it important to calculate design pressure?

Calculating design pressure is important because it helps ensure that a structure or system is able to withstand the expected maximum pressure without failing. This is crucial for safety and structural integrity.

3. How is design pressure calculated?

Design pressure is calculated by considering factors such as the type of structure or system, the materials used, and the potential external forces (e.g. wind, water, etc.) that it may be subjected to. The calculation may also involve safety factors to account for uncertainties.

4. What are some common situations where design pressure is important to consider?

Design pressure is important to consider in a variety of situations, such as when designing buildings and bridges, selecting materials for pressure vessels, and determining the maximum allowable pressure for pipelines and plumbing systems.

5. How can design pressure be tested and verified?

Design pressure can be tested and verified through various methods, such as conducting physical tests on prototypes, using computer simulations, and referencing industry standards and codes. It is important to regularly review and update design pressure calculations as needed to ensure continued safety and reliability.