Need help with some questions on relativity please

• Thread starter ArtStudentEli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: The problem with the neutrino deficit is that scientists don't know what kind of particle it is. If it were a light particle, for example, then they would be able to see it. But so far, all tests have come up empty. You can solve this problem if the neutrinos are changing their form while traveling between the Sun and the Earth. If they are changing form what are the implications with regard to their velocity? What are the implications with regard to their mass? Justify your answers.If the neutrinos are changing form, then the implications are pretty big. But I can't really go into all of that in a summary. I would recommend reading more about it if you're interested. Thanks for
ArtStudentEli

Homework Statement

If you were on Venus instead of on the Earth, using principles of general relativity, would you expect the Sun to appear redder or bluer? Why?

According to Mach's principle how would the rotation of objects differ in a universe with less matter in it? Explain how measurable quantities such as centripetal force, angular momentum, and moment of inertia would change, if at all.

A flashbulb is set off in the center of a car on a moving train. Light sensors on the front and rear walls of the car record the light emitted by the flash bulb. Describe how the light would illuminate the walls of the car as observed by an observer on the train and an observer standing next to the tracks on the ground. Explain the observations.

Solar neutrino deficit is an astrophysics problem. In short the fusion of hydrogen atoms into helium releases neutrinos, which are subatomic particles. The problem is that only one-third of the necessary number of neutrinos is measured. You can solve this problem if the neutrinos are changing their form while traveling between the Sun and the Earth. If they are changing form what are the implications with regard to their velocity? What are the implications with regard to their mass? Justify your answers.

THANKS AGAIN =)

Physics news on Phys.org
ArtStudentEli said:
If you were on Venus instead of on the Earth, using principles of general relativity, would you expect the Sun to appear redder or bluer? Why?
I believe this one is a relatively simple explanation using the dopplar effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect
Specifically (from that link): "For waves which do not require a medium, such as light or gravity in general relativity, only the relative difference in velocity between the observer and the source needs to be considered." Without giving it away

ArtStudentEli said:
According to Mach's principle how would the rotation of objects differ in a universe with less matter in it? Explain how measurable quantities such as centripetal force, angular momentum, and moment of inertia would change, if at all.
I believe this one to be explained by the Coriolis effect.

ArtStudentEli said:
A flashbulb is set off in the center of a car on a moving train. Light sensors on the front and rear walls of the car record the light emitted by the flash bulb. Describe how the light would illuminate the walls of the car as observed by an observer on the train and an observer standing next to the tracks on the ground. Explain the observations.
This one is also explained by the Dopplar Effect. Think about how the waves would differentiate between the two observers.

That is, if I am correct at least. I would take my advice with a grain of salt.

thank you guys a lot! I will take you answers in consideration and it helps a lot by putting me in the right direction for info i need to look up.Thanks again :)

ArtStudentEli said:
thank you guys a lot! I will take you answers in consideration and it helps a lot by putting me in the right direction for info i need to look up.Thanks again :)

Anytime,
I'm not sure what course this is for etc. but all the questions pertain to general relativity. You should be able to read the wikipedia (or other) page on the Dopplar Effect and the Coriolis Force/Effect and figure out the solution to those problems.

The Dopplar Effect in particular is a fascinating read anyway. Worth the time.

ArtStudentEli said:
This is probably asking about gravitational red-shift. Remember that light coming out of a gravitational well appears red-shifted -- light falling into the same gravitational well will appear blue-shifted.
ArtStudentEli said:
Mach's principle is the conjecture that the inertia of objects is related to mass of the other objects in the universe. How is inertia related to centripetal force, angular momentum, and moment of inertia?
ArtStudentEli said:
This is the classic set-up to describe the relativity of simultaneity. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity#The_train-and-platform_thought_experiment.
ArtStudentEli said:
Solar neutrino deficit is an astrophysics problem. In short the fusion of hydrogen atoms into helium releases neutrinos, which are subatomic particles. The problem is that only one-third of the necessary number of neutrinos is measured. You can solve this problem if the neutrinos are changing their form while traveling between the Sun and the Earth. If they are changing form what are the implications with regard to their velocity? What are the implications with regard to their mass? Justify your answers.
Change implies a progression through time (proper time). Photons never change. Think about this one in relation to the time dilation formula.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is a theory that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity deals with the laws of physics in all frames of reference, including accelerating frames.

3. How does the theory of relativity affect our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It has provided us with a new understanding of space and time, and has explained many phenomena that were previously unexplained, such as the bending of light, the concept of gravity, and the relationship between energy and mass.

4. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

The main difference between special and general relativity is that special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity deals with the laws of physics in all frames of reference, including accelerating frames. Additionally, general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity, while special relativity does not.

5. How does the theory of relativity impact our daily lives?

The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on our daily lives, even though we may not realize it. It has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and atomic clocks, which rely on the principles of relativity. It has also greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and our place in it.