Exploring the Potential Radiation Effects on Carbon 60: An Overview

In summary, γ-radiation may have various effects on carbon 60, but knowledge of the material's chemical and physical stability is required to determine what those effects may be.
Freshtictac
What are the known or suggested effects of γ-radiation on carbon 60?

Physics news on Phys.org
Each gram of Cobalt-60 will contain approximately 50 curies.

Freshtictac said:
... Cobalt-60 ...

Your title says "Carbon 60".

Maybe this is making those with knowledge of Cobalt NOT look at the question of Carbon.
I thought you might be talking about buckyballs.

Neil

captn said:
Your title says "Carbon 60".

Maybe this is making those with knowledge of Cobalt NOT look at the question of Carbon.
I thought you might be talking about buckyballs.

Neil

You're completely correct Neil... I posted out of excitement. But I would like an answer kinda like that, for Carbon as stated in the title.

How much γ-radiation could Carbon 60 absorb before half-life decay became visible?
I have seen tests of various radiation absorption on aluminum, tin, and lead, but never of C60 like materials, I know that when it was discovered it was hard to fabricate and very expensive, still is. I was thinking to make a deep space engine out of the material but it would cost nearly 5billion for the buckytubes in fluid alone by current prices. I was also considering an atmospheric production method, but I have no clue if that would be possible.
Indeed a common name for Carbon 60 is buckyballs "The structure of C60 - buckminsterfullerene - is that of a truncated icosahedron, which resembles a round soccer ball of the type made of hexagons and pentagons, with a carbon atom at the corners of each hexagon and a bond along each edge." http://www.3dchem.com/moremolecules.asp?ID=217&othername=Buckminsterfullerene

Last edited:
C60 would ionize on gamma absorption, like most everything else. Buckyballs are chemically very stable on ionization.

I have no idea what you mean by "half-life decay". Absorbing gamma radiation doesn't affect nuclear decay. (Besides which, 99% of carbon is stable 12C)

What is Carbon 60 radiation?

Carbon 60 radiation, also known as fullerene radiation, is a form of radiation that is emitted by a molecule called fullerene, which is made up of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a spherical shape.

What are the effects of Carbon 60 radiation on the body?

The effects of Carbon 60 radiation on the body are still being studied, but it is believed to have both positive and negative effects. Some studies have shown that it may have antioxidant properties and could potentially protect against certain types of radiation damage, while other studies have linked it to DNA damage and cell death.

Is Carbon 60 radiation harmful?

The full effects of Carbon 60 radiation on human health are not yet fully understood, but it is generally considered to be a low-risk form of radiation. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of Carbon 60 radiation can potentially lead to negative health effects.

How is Carbon 60 radiation used in scientific research?

Carbon 60 radiation is used in various types of scientific research, particularly in the fields of nanotechnology and biomedical research. It has been studied for its potential use in drug delivery, cancer treatment, and as a material for building electronic devices.

How can exposure to Carbon 60 radiation be minimized?

Exposure to Carbon 60 radiation can be minimized by avoiding prolonged exposure to high levels of this radiation. Protective measures, such as wearing appropriate gear and limiting time spent in areas with high levels of Carbon 60 radiation, can also help minimize exposure.