Surface tension of water against a gas not being air

In summary, the question at hand is whether replacing air with hydrogen will affect the surface tension of water. Interfacial energy measurements and data on this topic can be difficult to find, particularly for water with different gases or vacuum. There is more data available for mercury, which does not evaporate and has a higher vapor pressure. Some papers attempt to calculate interfacial energy from first principles, but it is a complicated topic. The book "Physical Chemistry of Surfaces" by Adamson is a recommended resource.
anders_r_r
Surface tension is a property of two different substances. The surface tension of water against air under different conditions is given in many textbooks and data handbooks. However, if the air is replaced by, say, hydrogen, what will be the surface tension? Where will I have to look for the answer?

Thanks,
Anders

Physics news on Phys.org
Interfacial energy measurements can be tough to find in the literature. To your specific question, one problem with performing measurements on water with various gases (or vacuum) is the vapor pressure of water- some will evaporate, contaminating the gas/vacuum. Consequently, there is a lot more data on mercury which has a much higher vapor pressure and does not evaporate.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q435735865465450/
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a910127069
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/i360025a014

Sometimes, you will come across a paper with tables of this kind of data- I used to have one for various materials against dry air. If you do, please post it since I would like to have that data easily available as well!

Andy, thank you very much for your input. I will continue to search for some relevant litterature.

I have the feeling that replacing air with hydrogen does not make a big change to the surface tension. Can anyone tell whether this is correct. If it is correct, then why?

/Anders

Last edited:
Good question- I don't know. There's too many unknowns: the solubility of hydrogen in water, for example. I do know that the interfacial energy of water is pathologically sensitive to contamination, which makes precision measurements difficult.

Girifalco and Good have some papers where they attempt to calculate the interfacial energy from first principles; these came out in the 60's and 70's. I couldn't make heads or tails of it, tho.

Adamson's book "Physical Chemistry of Surfaces" is an excellent resource.

I would first like to clarify that surface tension is not a property of two different substances, but rather a property of the interface between two substances. This interface can be between any two substances, including water and air or water and hydrogen.

To answer your question about the surface tension of water against hydrogen, I would need to know the specific conditions under which the experiment is being conducted. Surface tension is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances.

To find the answer, I would suggest looking for research papers or data handbooks that specifically study the surface tension of water against different gases, including hydrogen. Additionally, conducting experiments under controlled conditions and measuring the surface tension directly would provide the most accurate answer.

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a phenomenon that occurs when the molecules at the surface of a liquid are more tightly attracted to each other than to the molecules in the air above it. This creates a "skin" on the surface of the liquid, causing it to resist any external forces that try to break through it.

2. How is surface tension affected by the type of gas above the water?

The type of gas above the water can affect surface tension in two main ways. Firstly, different gases have different chemical properties and can interact differently with water molecules, which can affect the strength of surface tension. Secondly, the weight and density of the gas can also impact surface tension, as heavier gases can exert more pressure on the water's surface, causing it to stretch and weaken the surface tension.

3. Can surface tension be measured?

Yes, surface tension can be measured using a variety of methods, such as the drop weight method, the Du Nouy ring method, or the capillary rise method. These methods involve measuring the force required to break the surface tension of a liquid, which can then be used to calculate the surface tension value.

4. How does temperature affect surface tension of water against a gas?

Generally, as temperature increases, the surface tension of water decreases. This is because the molecules in water become more energetic and can overcome the attractive forces that create surface tension. However, the relationship between temperature and surface tension can also be affected by the type of gas above the water, as well as other factors such as salinity and impurities in the water.

5. Why is understanding surface tension important in scientific research?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural and industrial processes, such as the movement of water through plants, the formation of bubbles, and the behavior of liquids in microfluidic devices. Understanding surface tension can also help scientists design and improve technologies, such as detergents, paints, and coatings, that rely on its properties. Additionally, surface tension is closely related to other important physical properties of liquids, such as viscosity and adhesion, making it a valuable concept in various fields of science and engineering.