Solving Cartesian Vector Problems: |D|, |E|, D+E, E-D

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnitude of two given vectors D and E and also determining the result of adding or subtracting them. The magnitude of a vector is found by drawing it on a coordinate plane and measuring its diagonal length, while adding or subtracting vectors involves combining or reversing their direction and magnitude.
mwhowell

Homework Statement

If D=3i–2j and E=–7i+5j … (a) What is |D|? (b) What is |E|?
(c) What are the vectors D+E and E–D?

!THERE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HATS OVER THE VARIABLES!

I would put up an attempt at the problem if I even knew how to attempt it.

Physics news on Phys.org
|D| just means the magnitude of the vector D, how do you find the magnitude of a vector?

so does that just mean D= (3,2)?

mwhowell said:
so does that just mean D= (3,2)?

If you draw the vector. Starting at the origin, you'd go 3 units in the x-direction and 2 units in the negative y-direction. Join the ending of this point back to the origin. The length of the diagonal is the magnitude of the vector.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach these types of Cartesian vector problems. First, it is important to understand the notation being used. The notation |D| and |E| represents the magnitude or length of the vector D and E, respectively. In this case, D=3i–2j means that the vector has a magnitude of 3 in the x direction and -2 in the y direction. Similarly, E=–7i+5j means that the vector has a magnitude of -7 in the x direction and 5 in the y direction.

To find the magnitude of a vector, we can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In this case, for vector D, the magnitude would be √(3^2 + (-2)^2) = √(9+4) = √13. Similarly, for vector E, the magnitude would be √((-7)^2 + 5^2) = √(49+25) = √74.

For part (a), we can simply substitute the values for D into the formula and find that |D| = √13. Similarly, for part (b), |E| = √74.

For part (c), we can use the vector addition and subtraction rules. Vector addition is performed by adding the corresponding components of the two vectors. In this case, D+E would be (3-7)i + (-2+5)j = -4i + 3j. Vector subtraction is performed by subtracting the corresponding components of the two vectors. In this case, E-D would be (-7-3)i + (5-(-2))j = -10i + 7j.

I hope this helps guide you in solving Cartesian vector problems. Remember to always carefully read and understand the notation being used and apply the appropriate mathematical rules.

1. What are Cartesian vectors and how are they used in problem solving?

Cartesian vectors are mathematical quantities that describe the magnitude and direction of a physical entity, such as force or velocity, in a Cartesian coordinate system. They are commonly used in problem solving to represent and analyze the motion of objects in 2D or 3D space.

2. What do |D| and |E| represent in Cartesian vector problems?

|D| and |E| represent the magnitudes or lengths of vectors D and E, respectively. They are calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

3. How is D+E calculated in Cartesian vector problems?

D+E is calculated by adding the individual components of vectors D and E. For example, if D = (3, 4) and E = (2, 5), then D+E = (3+2, 4+5) = (5, 9).

4. What is the difference between E-D and D-E in Cartesian vector problems?

E-D and D-E represent the subtraction of one vector from the other. The order of subtraction matters, as it affects the direction of the resulting vector. For example, if D = (3, 4) and E = (2, 5), then E-D = (2-3, 5-4) = (-1, 1), while D-E = (3-2, 4-5) = (1, -1).

5. How can I use Cartesian vectors to solve real-world problems?

Cartesian vectors can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of moving objects, determining the forces acting on an object, and analyzing the motion of projectiles. They can also be used in engineering and physics to design and optimize structures and systems.