How to built Carbon Fibre parts at home

In summary, to build carbon fibre parts at home, you can use the same process as Fibreglas, by creating a positive mold of the part you want to duplicate and coating it with mould-release compound. Then, lay down a few layers of Fibreglas or similar substance to make a negative mold. Once it dries, lay down your carbon fibre using the same process as Fibreglas. For accuracy, enclose the mold in an air-tight bag and use a compressor to vent the exhaust. You can also use a conventional oven for curing. However, it is not recommended for structural parts as it requires professional tools and skills. Using materials from companies like DragonPlate can help achieve a
sanjiv
How Can i built carbon fibre parts at home work shop?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The same way that you would do for Fiberglas (that is, incidentally, a trademarked name). It's also the way that I make my Hallowe'en facial appliances (as you can see in my avatar). You make a positive of what you want to duplicate. In my case, that's plasticene that I sculpt onto a Styrofoam head; for you, that might be taking an original hood or whatever. Coat it liberally with mould-release compound or at least WD-40. I use paste wax, but that's just a habit from the old days. You then lay down a few layers of Fiberglas or similar substance on top of that to make a negative mould. Once that has dried, you put down your carbon fibre the same way that you would with glass—matt, resin, squeegie, matt... etc. until you have a piece that is as thick as needed. (And you don't need a lot of that ****; it's incredibly strong.) For total accuracy, you then enclose the whole affair in an air-tight garbage bag (or similar). Hook the intake side of a compressor into a hose that connects to the bag, and just vent the exhaust as usual. After that, just cut off the trim, maybe give it a wax coat if you're not going to paint it, and send it on it's way.

few years back, i made some parts from fibre glass using general purpose epoxy, catylist, hardner (gernal purpose name for chemicals). you mean same way i can made parts from carbon fibre? If you know the ingradients for making tennis racket kindly tell. i have to built propeller blades for my RC helicopter.

maybe this will help
http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-make-carbon-fiber-parts"

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good link, Sid.
Sanjiv, I can't tell you about tennis raquets. When I was playing, they were made out of wood (probably maple). I think that they started using Fibreglas sometime in the 70's, and carbon fibre maybe in the past 20 years or so. Sometime in the middle of that, they tried aluminum alloys.

CFRP != GFRP. As far as I'm aware, and I've only just started working with composites. But Carbon fibre isn't layed up the same way as glass fibre.

The 'proper' way is to create your master part out of some sort of tooling block. Layup prepreg and autoclave it to make the master mould. You then layup your carbon fibre sheets and stick it in the autoclave again to cure. Carbon, as far as I'm aware is always cured at temp and pressure if you want a high performance part. Where as GF can be cured at room temperature. So far I am not aware of any reason you can't make a carbon layup at room, just that it isn't done like that.

I suppose if you vacuum bagged it and then stuck it in the oven that could do the trick.

Last edited:
Is this a DIY type thing? If so I don't know if an autoclave is going to be available. Something that may be useful for helping to cure some of your layups is a regular conventional oven...i.e. if you know of anyone remodeling their kitchen, they may have a perfectly good oven for glass layups.
As per fiberglass vs. carbon fiber...I think that you "can" lay them up very similarily and get decent results...again, is this a DIY type thing or are we talking professional manufacutring?

It's a DIY job.

It should be pointed out that although it's possible it's likely to be a proper **** job without the right tools. It's like trying to do precision machining when all you have is a bandsaw and a ruler.

Carbon fibre is a pretty difficult thing to get right yourself if it's being used for anything structural. As it's an all or nothing prospect OP. If you make a hash of it the part will have no strength and is essentially scrap.

What's the application anyway? (probably the most important question).

Yeah, knowing the application will help quite a bit. And having the right tools does help tremendously. It sure is neat when you can get professional quality with non professional tools...just very rare. Time, quality, or cost...Pick two

If the OP is making something like a truss or something...check that link out...they have interlocking connectors which mate with their tubes which can give you a good base frame.

It should be pointed out that although it's possible it's likely to be a proper **** job without the right tools. It's like trying to do precision machining when all you have is a bandsaw and a ruler.

Last edited:
Is there an echo in here?

Is there an echo in here?

ell oh ell

1. How do I obtain the necessary materials to build carbon fibre parts at home?

To build carbon fibre parts at home, you will need to purchase carbon fibre sheets, epoxy resin, hardener, a mold, and other tools and equipment. These materials can be found at specialty stores or online retailers.

2. What safety precautions should I take when working with carbon fibre?

Working with carbon fibre can be hazardous, as the tiny fibres can irritate the skin and lungs. It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator, when handling carbon fibre materials. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area.

3. Can I use a regular oven to cure my carbon fibre parts?

No, it is not recommended to use a regular household oven to cure your carbon fibre parts. The high temperatures needed for curing can damage the oven and release harmful fumes. It is best to use a dedicated oven or heat lamp specifically designed for curing carbon fibre.

4. How long does it take to build carbon fibre parts at home?

The time it takes to build carbon fibre parts at home can vary depending on the complexity of the project and your level of experience. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to complete a carbon fibre part.

5. Are there any alternatives to building carbon fibre parts at home?

Yes, there are alternative methods to building carbon fibre parts at home. Some companies offer DIY carbon fibre kits that provide all the necessary materials and instructions to build your own carbon fibre parts at home. Alternatively, you can also hire a professional who specializes in carbon fibre fabrication for more complex projects.