Problem with Buckling of stepped bar Roark's Formula's

• Thread starter RaymondSE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buckling
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating buckling on a stepped bar using Roark's formulas for stress and strain. The speaker is having trouble finding the K1 value for their specific case, as the E2I2/E1I1 ratio is not tabulated. Suggestions are given, including using the correct equations for the specific type of stepped bar, finding a more precise value for E2I2/E1I1, and possibly interpolating between tabulated values. It is also recommended to seek help from a colleague or expert if needed.
RaymondSE
Hello,

I have a problem with calculating buckling on a stepped bar with roark's formulas for stress and strain.

By these tables (page 718-722) they show tables where you can find K1 values to calculate the maximum buckling load.
In these tables you compare:
-(E2I2/E1I1) E is youngs modulus and I is moment of inertia.
-A/L The ratio of length of upper and lower part.
-The ratio between P1 and P2

In my case:
P2 = 0.
A/L = 0.65
But E2I2/E1I1 = 3.36

This value is not tabulated.
Does anyone know how can I find K1 for this value.

Raymond

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Raymond,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. Calculating buckling on a stepped bar using Roark's formulas can be a complex task, but there are a few steps you can take to find the K1 value for your specific case.

First, make sure you are using the correct equations for your specific type of stepped bar. There are different equations for different types of bars, such as square, rectangular, or circular cross-sections. Make sure you are using the correct equation for your particular bar.

Next, try to find a more precise value for E2I2/E1I1. This value is usually calculated using the moment of inertia for each section of the bar, so make sure you are using the correct values for the cross-sections of your stepped bar. You can also try to use a more precise value for E, which can be found through experiments or more accurate material data.

If you are still unable to find a tabulated value for your specific E2I2/E1I1 ratio, you can try interpolating between two tabulated values. This involves estimating the value between two known values and using a formula to calculate a more precise value. However, this method may not be as accurate as using a tabulated value, so use it with caution.

I hope these suggestions help you find the K1 value for your stepped bar. If you are still having trouble, you may want to consult with a colleague or expert in the field for further assistance. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is buckling of a stepped bar?

Buckling is a phenomenon that occurs when a slender structural element, such as a bar or column, fails under compressive stress. In the case of a stepped bar, the change in cross-sectional area along the length of the bar can cause it to buckle under a certain amount of load.

2. How does Roark's formula help with this problem?

Roark's formula, also known as the Euler buckling formula, is a mathematical equation that predicts the critical load at which a slender structural element will buckle. It takes into account material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions to determine the critical buckling load for a particular structure.

3. What are the limitations of using Roark's formula for a stepped bar?

Roark's formula assumes that the structural element is homogeneous and has a uniform cross-section along its entire length. This is not the case for a stepped bar, which has a varying cross-sectional area. Therefore, the formula may not accurately predict the critical load for a stepped bar.

4. Are there any other methods for analyzing the buckling of a stepped bar?

Yes, there are other methods such as finite element analysis and experimental testing. These methods can take into account the varying cross-sectional area of a stepped bar and provide more accurate predictions of its buckling behavior.

5. How can the problem of buckling in a stepped bar be prevented?

To prevent buckling in a stepped bar, the design should take into account the critical buckling load predicted by Roark's formula or other methods. The structural element can also be reinforced with additional support or bracing to increase its load-bearing capacity and prevent buckling.