Questions about the Photoelectric Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-particle duality and how it relates to electron ionization and the photoelectric effect. The tutor explains that increasing the intensity or amplitude of a wave does not change the energy of each individual photon, and therefore cannot affect the photoelectric effect. The conversation also touches on the idea of multiple photons combining to form a single, more energetic wave, but ultimately concludes that the photoelectric effect is still dependent on individual quanta of energy.
Kidphysics
Thought to put this here because of the wave-particle duality ties. My question, that I already asked a tutor was how come electron ionization is due to frequency, and not intensity.

He told me that it was because of nature's "no free lunch" policy and that changing the intensity was just adding two distinct waves constructively. My question was that since the two different waves are going to occupy the same space wouldn't the photon, or the single photon wave's total energy increase as a whole? Why doesn't the change in INTENSITY not enough for the photoelectric effect? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Increasing the intensity just means increasing the number of photons. Each will still have the same energy.

matonski said:
Increasing the intensity just means increasing the number of photons. Each will still have the same energy.

thank you for your answer, but what about increasing the wave's amplitude? Doesn't a bigger amplitude= more energetic wave? Or does high amplitude also just mean more photons (in one area) and this was what my tutor was trying to say. If it is I have one remaining question. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Bigger amplitude just means more photons also, since intensity is the square of the amplitude. More photons means a more energetic wave. But again, each photon still has the same energy.

matonski said:
Bigger amplitude just means more photons also, since intensity is the square of the amplitude. More photons means a more energetic wave. But again, each photon still has the same energy.

If two photon waves were to "construct" why can we not think of this new wave as a single photon wave? Why do we say that this single wave with a large amplitude is "many photons? If we were to draw it, would it not be conglomerated into one single wave?

Construction is a wave property, so, I'm guessing that photons CAN construct into a single entity- a single high energy wave, but since in this experiment the individual photons are retaining their individual energies they aren't "meshing" and they are behaving like particles. Is this correct?

Kidphysics said:
If two photon waves were to "construct" why can we not think of this new wave as a single photon wave? Why do we say that this single wave with a large amplitude is "many photons? If we were to draw it, would it not be conglomerated into one single wave?

Construction is a wave property, so, I'm guessing that photons CAN construct into a single entity- a single high energy wave, but since in this experiment the individual photons are retaining their individual energies they aren't "meshing" and they are behaving like particles. Is this correct?

The wave will be absorbed only one quanta of energy (or photon) at a time so having a bigger wave won't make a difference. Maybe what your getting at is that if two photons were absorbed by the same electron then it could be ionized even though the frequency is incorrect. This may be possible but it would be like getting hit by lighting twice.

Joseph14 said:
Maybe what your getting at is that if two photons were absorbed by the same electron then it could be ionized even though the frequency is incorrect.

Okay this answer (with the others) helps me to conclude my confusion.

Obviously the photoelectric effect is dealing with quanta of energy or photons in their particular form.

I thought that possibly the electron could be hit by both photons- if they were to mesh into a constructive wave- where they could 'strike' the electron at the same time. I know this meshing is a wave property, and I've learned that when we are talking about a photon wave with a high amplitude, or a photon wave with high intensity, that we are actually talking about a conglomerate wave of individual photons. Yes?

Yes. Roughly, the amplitude squared is equal to the density of photons. Two waves can interfere and create a larger amplitude, but that just means more photons.

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or above.

Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887, but it was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light and helped develop the theory of quantum mechanics.

What is the work function in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. It is dependent on the material and is measured in electron volts (eV).

What is the stopping potential in the photoelectric effect?

The stopping potential is the potential difference needed to stop the flow of electrons emitted from a material in the photoelectric effect. It is dependent on the frequency of light and the work function of the material.