Levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring?

In summary: No, it is different. Remember that we are dealing with a diamagnetic effect here, so Earnshaw's theorem does not apply. Hence, it IS possible and it has been done, it is just very difficult if you are using a type I superconductor.
cragar
Is it possible to levitate a magnet in a superconducting pipe or a ring?
Is it possible to try to calculate this using the method of images and treat the magnet as a little current loop? Any input will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the links

This should give you the same stability as balancing one magnet over another where the poles are reversed. But any misalignment of axes will result in the magnet being pushed off radially. An array of superconducting loops over a surface may work as they approximate a superconducting surface.

I think this is an inexact approximation, where a large surface covered with small superconducting loops would allow freedom over the plane with velocity of the magnet unchanged from an intial velocity and the height fixed above the surface.

Last edited:
Yes, we actually do that at rino, a Dutch student organisation that goes around schools to inform kids about physics.
supergeleider-1024x682.jpg

Phrak said:
This should give you the same stability as balancing one magnet over another where the poles are reversed. But any misalignment of axes will result in the magnet being pushed off radially. An array of superconducting loops over a surface may work as they approximate a superconducting surface.

No, it is different. Remember that we are dealing with a diamagnetic effect here, so Earnshaw's theorem does not apply. Hence, it IS possible and it has been done, it is just very difficult if you are using a type I superconductor.

In most experiments (including the one in the above picture) type II superconductors are used. Here the magnet is "stabilized" by flux pinning which holds it in place (if you try to move the magnet it feels a bit like moving it in gel).
Note that the pinning can be "dynamic"; you are free to move the magnet (or the SC) as long as the field configuration stays the same. This is why it is e,g, possible make levitating model trains (with a SC in the "engine" levitating over a magnetic strip); when I was a PhD student we used a train to demonstrate superconductivity for visitors and undergraduates.

f95toli said:
No, it is different. Remember that we are dealing with a diamagnetic effect here, so Earnshaw's theorem does not apply. Hence, it IS possible and it has been done, it is just very difficult if you are using a type I superconductor.

In most experiments (including the one in the above picture) type II superconductors are used. Here the magnet is "stabilized" by flux pinning which holds it in place (if you try to move the magnet it feels a bit like moving it in gel). [\quote]

I've been curious about this. If it take energy to move it about, where it doesn't rebound in position, there is energy being dissipated somewhere. It seems it must go into heating the lattice, but I can only guess at the cause.

Note that the pinning can be "dynamic"; you are free to move the magnet (or the SC) as long as the field configuration stays the same. This is why it is e,g, possible make levitating model trains (with a SC in the "engine" levitating over a magnetic strip); when I was a PhD student we used a train to demonstrate superconductivity for visitors and undergraduates.

By field configuration, I'm guessing you mean the orientation of the magnet. Is that correct?

1. How does levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring work?

Levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring works through the phenomenon of magnetic levitation, also known as the Meissner effect. When a superconducting material is cooled below its critical temperature, it expels magnetic fields from its interior, causing a perfect diamagnetism. This repels the magnetic field of the magnet, allowing it to float above the superconducting ring.

2. What materials are needed to levitate a magnet over a superconducting ring?

To levitate a magnet over a superconducting ring, you will need a superconducting material, such as a ceramic compound like yttrium barium copper oxide (YBCO), a strong permanent magnet, and a source of liquid nitrogen or helium to cool the superconductor to its critical temperature.

3. How can the levitation of a magnet over a superconducting ring be used in practical applications?

The levitation of a magnet over a superconducting ring has potential applications in transportation, energy storage, and magnetic bearings. It could also be used in high-speed trains, where the levitation reduces friction and allows for faster and more efficient travel.

4. What are the limitations of levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring?

The main limitation of levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring is the need for extremely low temperatures, which requires a constant supply of liquid nitrogen or helium. Another limitation is the sensitivity of the superconductor to external magnetic fields, which can disrupt the levitation if not shielded properly.

5. Are there any safety concerns when levitating a magnet over a superconducting ring?

There are potential safety concerns when handling superconducting materials and liquid nitrogen or helium. Liquid nitrogen can cause burns if it comes into contact with skin, and liquid helium can cause frostbite. It is important to handle these materials safely and follow proper precautions when working with them.