Feynman trick for linear propagators?

In summary, the conversation discusses combining standard propagators using Feynman's parameter method, specifically when one of the propagators is linear. The solution involves using a standard formula and completing the square in the denominator, then shifting variables in the momentum integral and using a formula for integrating the dimensionally regularized momentum integral.
earth2
Hey guys,

say i have some standard propagators then I know how to combine them using Feynman's parameter method. But what do I do if one of these propagators is linear?
For instance:

[tex]\int d^Dk \frac{1}{(k-p)^2(k \cdot q)}[/tex]

where q and p are some momenta. How do I combine them?
Does anyone have an idea about that?

Cheers,
earht2

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why the the Feynman parameters don't work in this case.

Use the standard formula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram#Combining_Denominators

[tex]\frac{1}{AB}= \int_0^1 \frac{1}{( vA+ (1-v)B)^2} dv[/tex]

and complete the square in the denominator as per usual.

[tex]\frac{1}{(k-p)^2}\frac{1}{k\cdot q}
= \int_0^1 \frac{1}{( v (k-p)^2+ (1-v)k\cdot q)^2} dv
= \int_0^1 \frac{1}{( v (k-(p-q(1-v)/(2v))^2+ f(q,p,v))^2} dv
[/tex]

Then shift the variables in the momentum integral to get

[tex]\int d^dk \frac{1}{(k-p)^2}\frac{1}{k\cdot q}
= \int_0^1 \int d^dk \frac{1}{( v k^2+ f(q,p,v))^2} dv
[/tex]

then use the standard formula for integrating the dimensionally regularized momentum integral.

1. What is the Feynman trick for linear propagators?

The Feynman trick for linear propagators is a mathematical technique used to simplify the calculation of linear propagators in quantum field theory. It involves rewriting the propagator as a Gaussian integral and then using Feynman's path integral formulation to solve it.

2. Why is the Feynman trick useful?

The Feynman trick is useful because it allows for the calculation of otherwise complicated linear propagators in a simpler and more intuitive way. It also provides a connection between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics through the use of Feynman's path integral formulation.

3. When can the Feynman trick be applied?

The Feynman trick can be applied in any situation where a linear propagator needs to be calculated, such as in quantum field theory, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is particularly useful for calculations involving free particles, as it simplifies the calculation significantly.

4. Are there any limitations to the Feynman trick?

While the Feynman trick is a powerful tool for simplifying calculations, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to linear propagators, so it is not useful for calculating higher-order propagators. It also assumes that the propagator is free of external forces, which may not always be the case.

5. How can I learn more about the Feynman trick for linear propagators?

There are many resources available for learning more about the Feynman trick, including textbooks on quantum field theory and online tutorials. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of calculus and complex analysis to fully comprehend the technique and its applications.