Units of measure for Electric and Magnetic Fields

In summary, there are two unit systems being used in this conversation: Gaussian units and MKSA units. Each system has different units of measure for electric and magnetic fields. Gaussian units use statCoulombs and statV/cm for E, and dynes/statC and Gauss for B. MKSA units use Coulombs and Volts/meter for E, and Newtons-sec/Coulomb-meter and Teslas for B. These units can be confusing, especially when taught by theorists.
atomicpedals
I'm going in circles on units (or perhaps more accurately different unit systems). The two my professor has chosen to work in are Gaussian units and MKSA units. My problem is one of lack of understanding; are the units of measure for electric and magnetic fields in these systems:

Gaussian: E = n/C; B = n-s/C-m
MKSA: E = n/C; B = w/m^2

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
atomicpedals said:
I'm going in circles on units (or perhaps more accurately different unit systems). The two my professor has chosen to work in are Gaussian units and MKSA units. My problem is one of lack of understanding; are the units of measure for electric and magnetic fields in these systems:

Gaussian: E = n/C; B = n-s/C-m
MKSA: E = n/C; B = w/m^2
Gaussian units use the statCoulomb for charge which is defined in such a way as to remove the proportionality constant from Coulomb's law:

[tex]F = qQ/r^2[/tex]

So charge in statCoulombs has dimensions of force1/2 x distance or grams1/2cm3/2/sec.

E in MKS has dimensions of force/charge (Newtons/Coulomb) or potential/distance (Volts/Metre or Joules/Coulomb-metre) and in Gaussian units it has units of dynes/statCoulomb or statV/cm

You will soon realize that Gaussian units in Electricity and Magnetism were invented by purists who hated students.

In MKS B has dimensions of force-time/charge-distance ie: F = q(E + v x B). So the magnetic field has units of Newtons-sec/Coulomb-metre or Teslas. But in Gaussian units, B has dimensions of force/charge just like E, so its units are dynes/statC or Gauss. 1 Gauss = .0001 Tesla x 1 m/sec.

AM

Thanks! Hopefully I'll keep them straight too!

"You will soon realize that Gaussian units in Electricity and Magnetism were invented by purists who hated students."

It's what I get for taking classes taught by theorists.

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are caused by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are caused by moving electric charges. Electric fields are measured in volts per meter (V/m), while magnetic fields are measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are related through Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental relationship between electric and magnetic fields. In simple terms, a changing electric field can create a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field can create an electric field.

3. What units are used to measure electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are measured in volts per meter (V/m), while magnetic fields are measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G). In some cases, smaller units such as millivolts per meter (mV/m) or microtesla (µT) may also be used.

4. How do different materials affect the strength of electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are affected by the dielectric constant of a material, which measures how easily electric charges can move through it. Magnetic fields are affected by the permeability of a material, which measures how easily magnetic fields can pass through it. Different materials can have different effects on the strength of electric and magnetic fields.

5. What are some common sources of electric and magnetic fields in everyday life?

Common sources of electric fields include power lines, electrical appliances, and electronic devices. Magnetic fields are often produced by the same sources, as well as by magnets and the Earth's magnetic field. In general, any device that uses electricity can produce electric and magnetic fields.