Transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical

In summary, for modeling a large physical system such as a 1km depth subsea wellbore, it is recommended to use finite element or finite volume discretization methods instead of explicit finite difference algorithms. Open-source programs like FEniCS or OpenFOAM, as well as the library FEMM, can be used for this purpose.
kseng
Hi All

I'm embarking on a model of a large physical system.
I have a reasonable concept of the model but need advice on which simulators or programming languages to use.
I've developed a (simple) explicit finite difference algorithm in excel for 'a few metres' and 'a few timesteps'.
I have experience programming in Fortran and am confident I could expand the algorithm into Fortran.

I am unsure if this is going to be an efficient tool or method. Please advise on method (explicit FD) and tool (Fortran) given the model scale.
Some details of the problem below.

The system is a wellbore of nearly 1km depth, subsea.
This determines the need for cylindrical coordinate system.
The boundary conditions are mostly straightforward
The sea temperature fixes the upper plane temperature.
Geothermal gradient determines the initial dT/dz and also fixes T at r=infinity.
Geothermal heat flux will be approximated by fixing temperature (say) 20-50m below the wellbore for all t.
The temperature of the cylinder centre will cool and heat as fluid is injected/withdrawn.
The rock thermal properties are consistent.
The wellbore consists of several material layers (cement, steel pipe, brine, nitrogen).

The aim is to track temperature variation over a period of several months.

I may have to dovetail this with a reservoir thermal simulation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice on tools/methods appreciated.Thanks in advance.For this type of problem, you may want to consider using a finite element or finite volume discretization approach. These methods are more efficient than explicit finite difference algorithms and can handle complicated geometries and material properties. Additionally, these methods provide higher accuracy and produce more stable results. You can use a variety of open-source programs such as FEniCS or OpenFOAM for this purpose. If you are comfortable with Fortran, you can also use the library called FEMM (Finite Element Method Magnetics).

1. What is transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical?

Transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical refers to the process of heat transfer in a cylindrical object that is occurring over a period of time. It involves the transfer of heat from one point to another within the cylindrical object, resulting in a change in temperature over time.

2. How is transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical different from steady-state heat transfer?

In steady-state heat transfer, the temperature of the object remains constant over time as the heat transfer rate is also constant. However, in transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical, the temperature changes over time as the heat transfer rate varies.

3. What factors affect transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical?

The factors that affect transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical include the material properties of the cylindrical object, its shape and size, the initial and boundary conditions, and the heat source or sink present.

4. How is transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical modeled mathematically?

Transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical is typically modeled using the heat equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes how the temperature of a body changes over time due to heat transfer. This equation takes into account the factors mentioned above and can be solved using numerical methods.

5. What are some real-life applications of transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical?

Transient heat transfer 2-D cylindrical has many practical applications, such as in the cooling of electronic devices, heat treatment processes in manufacturing, and thermal energy storage systems. It is also relevant in the design of engines, refrigerators, and other heat transfer equipment.