Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, "Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers" by Jan Gullberg is a great book that includes unique poems about each chapter. Several examples of these poems showcase the beauty and creativity of mathematics, from vector connections to the uncertainty of the Cartesian plane.
1MileCrash
About a year ago, I picked up "Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers" by Jan Gullberg (good book, by the way.)

One of my favorite things about this book is that each section contains a unique poem about the chapter's contents. I looked, and I think they are original.

Here's a few of my favorites:

Many things have more than direction;
The magnitude is also a question.
With acceleration, or force,
And many more things, of course,
It's vectors that make the connection.

Was Calculus invented or discovered
- Was it made or was it uncovered?
Some only deride,
Others try to decide.
Still we aren't sure if it's one or the other!

Sprinkling flour while rolling pie crust,
He thought about Mandelbrot dust.
Fractals all-round the ledge
Gave the crust a fine edge.
Apple pie done just right was a must.

With interpolation perforce,
Jack plotted a much better course.
With Jill up the hill,
Oh my! Not a spill,
Skateboarding down from the old water source!

At the outset of Differentiation
We need a strong dedication.
Now, after a break
And some slices of cake,
We're set for more math gratification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man, whoever wrote those has about as much rhythm as that pie he made.

Oh come to the Cartesian plane
Where the axes intersect
The Origin is there
And everything is perfect
Lines are straight and beautiful
Parabolas have gorgeous curves
Quadratics and quadrants
Are all there to serve
As you find yourself in math
And get acquainted with your roots
Everything is uncertain
But the Cartesian plane is the truth.

-HeLiXe
:tongue2:

The solids have decided
That it is time for a revolution
Come let us integrate
Perhaps we can find a solution
-HeLiXe
LOLOL
I should copyright these :tongue2:

Quarkcharmer set sail on a science adventure,
modeling animals in the forest of rain,
calculating lifecycles of frog,
he choked on a log,
and missed boarding his cartesian plane.

lololll very charming QuarkCharmer :tongue2:

What is the significance of "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers"?

The significance of "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers" lies in its unique approach to exploring the history and beauty of mathematics through poetry. It combines the logical and analytical nature of math with the creativity and emotion of poetry, making it an engaging and thought-provoking read for both mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike.

How is math related to poetry?

Many may not immediately see the connection between math and poetry, but both are forms of expression and can be used to describe and interpret the world around us. Math can be seen as the language of the universe, while poetry is the language of the heart and soul. By combining the two, "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers" offers a unique perspective on the beauty and complexity of both disciplines.

Who would benefit from reading "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers"?

This book would benefit anyone with an interest in mathematics, poetry, or both. It can be appreciated by students, academics, and enthusiasts of both subjects, as well as those looking for a new and creative way to approach the study of math.

Are the poems in this book accessible to non-mathematicians?

While some basic understanding of math concepts may enhance the reader's experience, the poems in "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers" are written in a way that can be understood and appreciated by those without a strong mathematical background. The poems are meant to evoke emotion and spark curiosity, rather than serve as strict mathematical explanations.

What sets "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers" apart from other books about mathematics?

What makes "Mathematics Poems: From the Birth of Numbers" unique is its fusion of math and poetry. While there are many books that explore the history and concepts of mathematics, this book offers a fresh and creative approach that appeals to both the logical and emotional sides of the reader's brain. The poems in this book also cover a wide range of mathematical topics, making it a comprehensive and diverse collection.

Back