Mother bear kills cub and then itself

• Thread starter 206PiruBlood
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses a disturbing incident where a mother bear broke out of its cage and ultimately killed itself after being unable to save its cub from being punctured and killed by workers. The conversation also brings up questions about the mental capacity and behavior of animals in these types of situations, as well as the unethical treatment of animals by some people.
206PiruBlood
Alright so this is one of the more bizarre articles I have read in recent history...thought you might be interested.

The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile.

The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side.

Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it.

It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html

Feel free to discuss the article but I was more interested in the mental capacity of the bear to perform this. Is this "normal"? Do other animals display suicidal behavior under sustained harsh conditions - like many of the cows, and chickens experience before being slaughtered?

Poor bears :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
More likely, it was panic...both strangling the cub trying to carry it away, and then injuring herself so badly running into walls looking for an escape.

I really doubt it was trying to kill itself. It was probably just very scared and did something stupid.

Some of these chinese people make me sick.

A lot of things some people do make me sick. Most people have better sense.

I wonder if the article was doctored to give anguishing human qualities to the mother bear so they could sell more reprints.

The world's suffering never ceases to amaze. Distribution of such articles does help bring light to bad situations and puts pressure on them to stop.

Last edited:
Some times i am disgusted by human nature, this is one of them.

Anthropomorphism? Is that the term for when humans project human stuff onto rocks and animals?

DoggerDan said:
Anthropomorphism? Is that the term for when humans project human stuff onto rocks and animals?

I'm sorry, but the way you word this I can't help but think of monkeys throwing poop.

As an aside, this thread has made me wonder about how Gus is doing at the Central Park Zoo (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/after-24-years-suddenly-alone-at-the-central-park-zoo/").

Last edited by a moderator:
unbearable for mother.

It even says in the article it's not uncommon for the bears to try to kill themselves

Some of these chinese people make me sick.

Couldn't have said better...

The people who do this realize the bears are suffering, because they try to suicide. But they just don't care, how can they have no empathy at all?

1. What could cause a mother bear to kill her own cub?

There are a few possible reasons for this behavior. It could be due to a lack of resources, such as food or shelter, which can lead to a mother bear feeling unable to care for her cub. It could also be a result of stress, illness, or injury. Additionally, if the cub is sick or weak, the mother may view it as a threat to the survival of the rest of the litter.

2. Is this behavior common among bears?

No, this behavior is not common among bears. Mother bears are typically very protective of their cubs and will do everything in their power to care for and defend them. However, in rare cases, a mother bear may exhibit this behavior due to certain circumstances.

3. Will the mother bear harm any of her other cubs?

It is possible that the mother bear may harm her other cubs if she is feeling overwhelmed or threatened. However, this is not always the case. Some mother bears may continue to care for and protect their remaining cubs even after killing one.

4. How does this behavior impact the bear population?

This behavior does not have a significant impact on the bear population as a whole. While it is certainly tragic, it is not a widespread occurrence and does not occur frequently enough to have a significant impact on the overall population.

5. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this behavior?

There is not one specific solution to preventing this behavior as it can be caused by a variety of factors. However, ensuring that bear habitats are undisturbed, providing adequate resources for bears, and educating the public on how to coexist with bears can all help reduce the likelihood of this behavior occurring.