Negative Voltage/Current Readings in Induction Generator: Causes & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy between the readings of a small induction generator on a data-logger and a multimeter. The data-logger displays negative readings while the multimeter shows positive readings in both the voltage and current sensors. The person has tried to troubleshoot by checking the placement of the probes but has not been successful. Suggestions for a possible cause and solution are requested. The moderator suggests exchanging the leads until they agree. However, the terminology used in the conversation is not clear and a definition of terms is needed for a better understanding.
Faraday123

Homework Statement

I am taking the readings of voltage/current in a small induction generator; the readings are conveyed as negative on the voltage/current sensors on my data-logger, and positive on the multimeter in both areas. When the magnet passes through the coil, and power is generated, it continues to display the reading as negative in both areas on the data-logger.

Homework Equations

What might be the cause for this? And what might a solution be?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to establish if the cause was the wrong placement of multimeter/voltage/current sensor probes, but it was no avail.
Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Engineering news on Phys.org

Exchange the leads until they agree.

Moderator's note: thread moved to Electrical Engineering from the Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology homework forum.

some definition of terms would be in order.

you have a clear mental picture of your steup
but your words do not paint a clear picture for an audience.

induction generator?
to me that means an induction motor being driven faster than synchronous speed.

magnet passes through coil?
to me that sounds like something different than an induction generator, more similar to a loudspeaker voicecoil. .

Positive and negative readings on current sensors?
to me that sounds like DC.
if i were using an induction generator i would expect power line frequency AC.

can you clarify what kind of device you are studying, and how you're going about it?

1. What is negative voltage/current in an induction generator?

Negative voltage/current in an induction generator refers to a situation where the voltage or current readings are below zero. This can occur when the generator is not producing enough power to meet the demand, resulting in a reverse flow of electricity.

2. What are the common causes of negative voltage/current readings?

The common causes of negative voltage/current readings in an induction generator include a faulty or overloaded generator, a mismatch between the generator and the load, and poor connections or damaged wiring.

3. How can negative voltage/current readings be detected?

Negative voltage/current readings can be detected by using a voltmeter or ammeter to measure the voltage or current output of the generator. If the readings are below zero, it indicates a negative voltage or current.

4. What are the potential consequences of negative voltage/current in an induction generator?

Negative voltage/current in an induction generator can lead to a decrease in power output, which can affect the performance of electrical equipment and potentially cause damage. It can also result in instability and fluctuations in the power supply.

5. How can negative voltage/current readings be corrected?

To correct negative voltage/current readings in an induction generator, the underlying cause must be identified and addressed. This may involve reducing the load on the generator, repairing any faulty components, or adjusting the connections and wiring to ensure proper functioning.