Isomorphic direct product cyclic groups

In summary, for p prime, it is necessary to show that C_{p^2} \ncong C_p \times C_p by examining the possible orders of elements in both groups and proving that they are not compatible.
blahblah8724
Help! For p prime I need to show that

[itex] C_{p^2} \ncong C_p \times C_p [/itex]

where [itex] C_p [/itex] is the cyclic group of order p.

But I've realized I don't actually understand how a group with single elements can be isomorphic to a group with ordered pairs!

Any hints to get me started?

Physics news on Phys.org
blahblah8724 said:
Help! For p prime I need to show that

[itex] C_{p^2} \ncong C_p \times C_p [/itex]

where [itex] C_p [/itex] is the cyclic group of order p.

What possible orders do elements in [itex]C_{p^2}[/itex] have. Are these order compatible with the elements in [itex]C_p\times C_p[/itex]?

But I've realized I don't actually understand how a group with single elements can be isomorphic to a group with ordered pairs!

It certainly is possible. For example, we have [itex]C_6\cong C_2\times C_3[/itex]. Indeed, if we use additive notation ([itex]C_6=\{0,1,2,3,4,5\}[/itex]), then

[itex]f:C_6\rightarrow C_2\times C_3[/itex]

by f(0)=(0,0), f(1)=(1,1), f(2)=(0,2), f(3)=(1,0), f(4)=(0,1), f(5)=(1,2) is an isomorphism.

But surely if again we use additive notatoin with [itex] C_9=\{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8\} [/itex] then [itex] f:C_9 \to C_3 \times C_3 [/itex] with
f(0) = (0,0), f(1) = (0,1), f(2) = (0,2), f(3) = (1,0), f(4) = (1,1), f(5) = (1,2), f(6) = (2,0),
f(7) = (2,1), f(8) = (2,2) is as isomorphism?

blahblah8724 said:
But surely if again we use additive notatoin with [itex] C_9=\{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8\} [/itex] then [itex] f:C_9 \to C_3 \times C_3 [/itex] with
f(0) = (0,0), f(1) = (0,1), f(2) = (0,2), f(3) = (1,0), f(4) = (1,1), f(5) = (1,2), f(6) = (2,0),
f(7) = (2,1), f(8) = (2,2) is as isomorphism?

No. f(2+2)=f(4)=(1,1). But f(2+2)=f(2)+f(2)=(0,2)+(0,2)=(0,1). So it's not a homomorphism.

1. What is the definition of an isomorphic direct product cyclic group?

An isomorphic direct product cyclic group is a group formed by combining two or more cyclic groups through a specific operation called direct product. This operation creates a new group that shares the same structure and properties as the individual cyclic groups.

2. How do you determine if two cyclic groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two cyclic groups are isomorphic, you can compare their generators, which are the elements that generate the entire group through repeated multiplication. If the generators are the same for both groups, then they are isomorphic.

3. Can a non-cyclic group be isomorphic to a direct product cyclic group?

No, a non-cyclic group cannot be isomorphic to a direct product cyclic group. This is because the structure and properties of a direct product cyclic group are unique to cyclic groups and cannot be replicated by non-cyclic groups.

4. What are some real-world applications of isomorphic direct product cyclic groups?

Isomorphic direct product cyclic groups have many applications in different fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. They are used in data encryption algorithms, coding theory, and in the study of symmetries in physics, among others.

5. Can an infinite cyclic group be isomorphic to a finite direct product cyclic group?

No, an infinite cyclic group cannot be isomorphic to a finite direct product cyclic group. This is because the number of elements in a finite direct product cyclic group is finite, while an infinite cyclic group has an infinite number of elements.