Fourier transform and the heat equation, don't understand the provided answer

In summary, using the Fourier sine transform, it was shown that the solution to the given partial differential equation with boundary conditions and bounded solution is u(x,t)=\frac{2}{\pi} \int _0 ^{\infty } \frac{1-\cos p}{p} e^{-p^2t} \sin pxdp. The solution involves the sine Fourier transform due to the boundary condition u(x,0)=0. The discrepancy in the value of k in the given solution is resolved by using the identity 1-\cos p=2 \sin ^2 \frac{p}{2}.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Using Fourier sine transform with respect to [itex]x[/itex], show that the solution to [itex]\frac{\partial u }{\partial t}=\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial x^2}[/itex] with [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t >0[/itex] subject to the conditions [itex]u(0,t)=0[/itex] and [itex]u(x,0)=1[/itex] for [itex]0<x<1[/itex], [itex]u(x,0)=0[/itex] otherwise, with [itex]u(x,t)[/itex] bounded gives the solution [itex]u (x,t)=\frac{2}{\pi} \int _0 ^{\infty } \frac{1-\cos p}{p} e^{-p^2t} \sin pxdp[/itex] .

Homework Equations

Sine Fourier transform of [itex]\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial x^2}[/itex] is [itex]-p^2 U_s (p,t)+pu(0,t)[/itex] where [itex]U_s(p,t)[/itex] is the sine Fourier transform of [itex]u(x,t)[/itex]. While the sine Fourier transform of [itex]\frac{\partial u }{\partial t}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{d U _s (p,t)}{dt}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relevant equations and the initial condition I reach that [itex]\frac{dU_s}{dt}=-p^2U_s[/itex]. It's a simple ODE, separation of variables gives [itex]U_s=Ae^{-p^2t}[/itex].
However checking at the solution to the problem, I'm already wrong...
Here is the given solution that I don't fully understand:
-------------------------------------
With the boundary conditions [itex]u(x,0)=0[/itex] use the sine Fourier transform to give [itex]\frac{dU_s}{dt}=-kp^2U_s[/itex] with solution [itex]U_s=e^{-kp^2t}[/itex] and the boundary condition is [itex]u(x,0)=1[/itex] for [itex]0<x<1[/itex] and [itex]u(x,0)=0[/itex] for [itex]x \geq 1[/itex]. Taking transforms give [itex]U_s(0)=\int _0 ^1 \sin px dx=\frac{1-\cos p }{p}[/itex], hence [itex]A=\frac{1-\cos p }{p}[/itex] and [itex]U_s=\frac{1-\cos p }{p}e^{-kp^2t}[/itex] with inverse [itex]u(x,t)=\frac{2}{\pi} \int _0 ^{\infty } \frac{1-\cos p}{p} e^{-p^2t} \sin pxdp[/itex] as required.
----------------------------------
So I don't understand why he has an extra factor "k" in the exponential compared to me.
After this, if I assume that there's this extra k factor, I understand and worked through every single step of the solution. So this is my only question so far.
Wait, another question... why did the exercise asked for the sine Fourier transform rather than say the common one or cosine one? Is it because u(x,0)=0? In other words, for t=0, sin (t)=0? This looks like a rather strange argument.
How does one know what Fourier transform to use?
Thanks for any help!

Edit: in the last step of the answer (taking the inverse sine Fourier transform), it seems they misteriously drop the factor k. The definiton of the inverse sine Fourier transform of the book is [itex]u(x,t)=\frac{2}{\pi} \int _0 ^{\infty } U _s (p,t)\sin px dx[/itex]. If I take their [itex]U _s (p,t)[/itex], the k shouldn't disappear. If I take my k-less value of [itex]U _s(p,t)[/itex], I get the correct answer. Did they make a double typo error with the k's?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because if they didn't, I don't see how they can drop the k.A:I figured out the strange disappearance of the factor k. It comes from an identity:1-\cos p=2 \sin ^2 \frac{p}{2}. So U _s =\frac{2\sin^2 \frac{p}{2}}{p} e^{-kp^2t}. Then take inverse sine Fourier transform,u(x,t)=\frac{2}{\pi} \int _0 ^{\infty } \frac{2\sin^2 \frac{p}{2}}{p} e^{-kp^2t}\sin px dxUse the identity \sin^2 \frac{p}{2} = \frac{1}{2} (1-\cos p) and the integral becomes:u(x,t)=\frac{2}{\pi} \int _0 ^{\infty } \frac{1-\cos p}{p} e^{-kp^2t}\sin px dx which is the desired answer.The factor k disappears because the derivative of \sin px is p\cos px and \cos px integration on the range 0 to infinity gives zero.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its frequency components. It converts a function from its original domain (such as time or space) to its frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier transform related to the heat equation?

The Fourier transform is used to solve the heat equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat in a given space over time. By applying the Fourier transform, we can find the solution to the heat equation in the frequency domain, which can then be transformed back to the original domain.

3. Can you explain the concept of "heat equation" in simpler terms?

The heat equation is a mathematical equation that describes how heat spreads and changes in a given space over time. It takes into account factors such as the initial temperature distribution, the thermal conductivity of the material, and the time elapsed.

4. How does the Fourier transform help in solving the heat equation?

The Fourier transform allows us to break down the heat equation into simpler parts, making it easier to solve. It also helps us understand the behavior of the heat equation in the frequency domain, which can then be translated back to the original domain.

5. Can you provide an example of how the Fourier transform is used in the study of heat transfer?

Sure, one example is using the Fourier transform to analyze the temperature distribution in a solid object. By applying the Fourier transform, we can break down the temperature distribution into its frequency components and study how each component contributes to the overall temperature change over time.