Measuring the tidal effect of the moon on the earth

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate physics major who wants to measure the difference in gravity between sunrise, noon, sunset, and midnight due to the tidal effect from the moon and sun. They expect the difference in gravity to be very small and are struggling to find a way to measure it. Suggestions for using a pendulum, seismometer, or laser interferometry are given.
Pseudopod
I'm an undergraduate physics major and I want to create an experiment where I measure the difference in gravity between sunrise, noon, sunset, and midnight (and everything in between for that matter) due to the tidal effect from the moon and sun. I did some calculations and I expect the difference in gravity due to the sun to be on the order of 10^-6 m/s^2 and due to the moon to be about 3 times that.

My dilemma is how to measure that tiny difference in gravity.

I have yet to come up with a good way. Any scale I could get that's accurate enough couldn't handle the large mass needed to generate a tiny difference in force. I've thought a little about using interferometry to try to measure small variations in the deformation of a wire or a bar or something, but that still seems complicated because I'd have to know the exact properties of the material I am using.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting experiment you're trying to carry out! It certainly seems like a difficult task. Have you considered using a pendulum or a seismometer to measure the gravitational changes? Pendulums are particularly sensitive to small changes in gravity and can be relatively easy to set up. Seismometers can also be used to measure gravitational changes, although they require more calibration and may not be as precise as a pendulum. Alternatively, you could look into using lasers to measure the difference in gravity. There are a few different methods available, including laser interferometry, which can be very accurate. Good luck with your experiment!

What is the tidal effect of the moon on the earth?

The tidal effect of the moon on the earth refers to the gravitational pull of the moon on the earth's oceans, causing tides to rise and fall.

How is the tidal effect of the moon on the earth measured?

The tidal effect of the moon on the earth is typically measured using tide gauges, which record the rise and fall of water levels in specific locations. Satellite altimetry is also used to measure global changes in sea level due to the tidal effect.

What factors affect the strength of the tidal effect of the moon on the earth?

The strength of the tidal effect of the moon on the earth is influenced by several factors, including the distance between the moon and the earth, the angle of the moon's orbit, and the shape of the coastline and ocean basins.

Why do tides occur twice a day?

Tides occur twice a day because the gravitational pull of the moon on the earth's oceans causes the water to bulge towards the moon. As the earth rotates on its axis, different locations experience high and low tides as they pass through these bulges.

How does the tidal effect of the moon on the earth impact marine life and coastal communities?

The tidal effect of the moon on the earth is essential for marine life, as it creates nutrient-rich currents and habitats. However, strong tides can also cause erosion and flooding in coastal communities, requiring careful planning and management.