Titanium-Alluminum Alloy Oxidation: Why Aluminum Outgrowth Stops

• Thread starter Mahmood Anwar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary, according to Mahmood, the aluminum is not present in the top surface where from the cross-sectional view it should be. It is only present in the bottom layer of the oxidized layer. It may be diffusion or reaction limited.
Mahmood Anwar
Can anybody explain me why aluminum can not come out / outgrowth stop after the oxidation of titanium-allominium alloy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mahmood.
With all respect intended, I must say that I don't understand your question. Are you referring to corrosion, or difficulties alloying aluminum with titanium, or... what? I can tell that English is not your native language. We get a lot of that here, so everyone is very patient and understanding about it. Take your time, and we'll coax out what you mean.

Thank you Danger for your kind clarification.

I just mean that from my series of experiment, I observed that aluminium is not present in the top surface where from the cross -sectional view: Al presents in the bottom layer of the oxidized layer. i.e. question: Is there any explanation that the aluminium is being prevented to come out in the top surface after oxidation of Titanium-Aluminum Alloy?

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I'm not a metallurgist (I'm not a scientist of any kind), but I have a thought about it.
Aluminum oxidizes almost instantaneously, but only on the surface. By that I mean that it won't "rust through" the way iron will.
My admittedly clueless idea is that you are actually alloying aluminum oxide, rather than pure aluminum, with your titanium. If it's already oxidized, it isn't susceptible to the process continuing. I don't see just how that would affect layering, but it's all that I can think of.
I'm sure that someone else here will have a definitive answer for you.

I just got around to investigating the oxidation and alloying characteristics of titanium, and it appears that my initial thought is possibly invalid. Titanium forms a protective oxide layer the same as aluminum does. Why I consider that my idea might possibly still be correct is that the oxide layer continues to grow at a slow rate. Perhaps that titanium dioxide, trioxide or whatever simply grows in thickness and thus leaves the aluminum behind in a lower layer.
I really wish that someone else would take over here, because I'm out of my depth.

It could depend on many things, there is a fairly large list of things that the oxidation process is dependent on, and it may come down to whether it is reaction or diffusion limited. It depends from the start on your method of oxidation, which you haven't mentioned. If you are using wet oxidation using steam it may come down to the carrier gas that you are using and the reaction itself. It also sounds like you may not be performing it at a high enough temperature so that it may be reaction limited.

Thank u warrior1.
My method of oxidation is without any steam, its a simple process , heating inside furnace in normal environment ( means with the presents of air) and after heating the substrate was air cooled. Really hope , somebody have some explanation...

1. What is the purpose of studying Titanium-Aluminum Alloy Oxidation?

The purpose of studying Titanium-Aluminum Alloy Oxidation is to understand the behavior and properties of this material in various environments, as well as to develop methods for improving its resistance to oxidation.

2. What is the significance of the outgrowth of aluminum during oxidation?

The outgrowth of aluminum during oxidation is significant because it can affect the mechanical properties and performance of the alloy. It can also lead to degradation and failure of the material in certain applications.

3. Why does the outgrowth of aluminum eventually stop during oxidation?

The outgrowth of aluminum stops during oxidation due to the formation of a protective oxide layer on the surface of the alloy. This layer acts as a barrier, preventing further oxidation and outgrowth of aluminum.

4. How does the composition of the alloy affect its oxidation behavior?

The composition of the alloy can greatly influence its oxidation behavior. For example, increasing the aluminum content can lead to a thicker and more protective oxide layer, while increasing the titanium content can improve the mechanical properties of the alloy.

5. What are some factors that can accelerate or inhibit the oxidation of Titanium-Aluminum Alloy?

Some factors that can accelerate the oxidation of Titanium-Aluminum Alloy include high temperatures, exposure to moisture or corrosive environments, and impurities in the alloy. On the other hand, inhibiting factors can include the presence of protective coatings or the use of alloying elements that promote the formation of a stable oxide layer.