Circle & Ellipse Intersection: Can you Make Them Touch?

In summary, the statement means that a circle and an ellipse with a focus at the circle's center can only touch each other at the end of the longer axis of the ellipse. Varying the size of the circle does not change this tangency condition. This statement is a constraint on the tangency condition of the two shapes. It is also important to note that this question is more related to mathematics rather than physics.
mps
What does it mean when one says that "A circle and an ellipse with a focus at the circle’s
center can touch each other only at the longer axis"?
Can't you, by varying the size of the circle, make it intersect the ellipse in a variety of ways?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mps said:
What does it mean when one says that "A circle and an ellipse with a focus at the circle’s
center can touch each other only at the longer axis"?
Can't you, by varying the size of the circle, make it intersect the ellipse in a variety of ways?

Thanks! :)

Hello mps,
I assume the statement states constraint of the tangency condition.If they were to intersect the statement has no say.Do you seek a mathematical proof of this?If yes you have to show your attempt first.
regards
Yukoel

hi Yukoel,
no, i don't seek a mathematical proof. i just want to understand the statement. I still don't really understand... what do you mean by it "states constraint of the tangency condition"?
thanks for your help!

mps said:
hi Yukoel,
no, i don't seek a mathematical proof. i just want to understand the statement. I still don't really understand... what do you mean by it "states constraint of the tangency condition"?
thanks for your help!

Hello again!
If the circle and the ellipse touch or have a common tangent (two formulations of the same same statement) the point of contact has to be the end of longer axis of ellipse.I think this is what it means.
By the way this isn't related to physics I think so i think you have posted your query in the wrong section.
regards
Yukoel

Yukoel said:
... the point of contact has to be the end of longer axis of ellipse.I think this is what it means.
So you mean the end of the ellipse closer to the other focii?

Also I posted this here because it was in the context of elliptical orbits but now i realize it is more of a math question ;)

mps said:
So you mean the end of the ellipse closer to the other focii?

Yes.

regards
Yukoel

What is a circle and an ellipse?

A circle is a shape with all points equidistant from the center. An ellipse is a shape with two focal points and the sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the two focal points is constant.

What is the intersection of a circle and an ellipse?

The intersection of a circle and an ellipse is the set of points that lie on both shapes.

Can a circle and an ellipse intersect?

Yes, a circle and an ellipse can intersect. The intersection can occur at one point, two points, or in rare cases, no points.

Is it possible for a circle and an ellipse to intersect at only one point?

Yes, it is possible for a circle and an ellipse to intersect at only one point. This occurs when the circle is tangent to the ellipse at one point.

How can you make a circle and an ellipse touch?

To make a circle and an ellipse touch, the radius of the circle can be adjusted so that it is equal to the distance from the center of the ellipse to the nearest point on the circle. This will result in the two shapes touching at one point.