RS232 to USB/RS485 Conversion ICs?

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
In summary, I don't know if there are IC's that can convert RS232 to USB, or is the only solution to program a PIC to handle the USB protocol. However, I suspect from your original post that you are actually asking about the reverse of this, and I don't know off the top of my head if such a thing exists. Future Technology Devices Intl apparently makes these converters, but I don't know if they are small enough or if they will work with a DB9 connector. I will post any updates on my progress too.
madmike159
Gold Member
Does anyone know if there are IC's that can convert RS232 to USB, or is the only solution to program a PIC to handle the USB protocol. (I would also settle for RS232 to RS485, I just need a smaller connector with a shielded cable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know for sure that there are USB-to-serial converters that allow you to turn a USB port on your computer into a serial port, and they all use the same IC. So in some sense, this is "converting RS232 to USB", becuase if you have some external device that communicates via RS232, you can read from or write to it using a computer with a USB port.

However, I suspect from your original post that you are actually asking about the reverse of this, and I don't know off the top of my head if such a thing exists.

What I have is an explorer 16 development board which it outputting information via a 9 pin cable using RS232. Ideally I would like a small board that plugs into that and outputs USB to a computer since USB cables work over longer distances and are shielded.

A friend suggested an FT232R to do this, so I'm going to take a look at that.

I am dealing with the same issue and I was shocked to see this post. I am using MAX202CDR to read RS232 from a 0-5V source. "Block diagram" would look like: Source goes to MAX chip then to PC via HeadPhone Jack. The headphone jack converts to DB9. Anyways, with RS232 fading away, I want to use USB instead.

I am reading that Future Technology Devices Intl apparently makes these. I also took apart a USB JTAG and found a FTDI chip in there. My guess would be this is the route to go. But that's about as much as I know at the moment.

Cool, let me know how it goes. I will post any updates on my progress too.

I don't get it. USB to serial converter are also serial to USB. The data can flow both-ways.
Place the converter inside your board and use a long USB cable to hook it to the PC. Whats the problem?

I_am_learning said:
I don't get it. USB to serial converter are also serial to USB. The data can flow both-ways.

Until you try to run a hard drive on RS232 ;)

"I don't get it. USB to serial converter are also serial to USB. The data can flow both-ways.
Place the converter inside your board and use a long USB cable to hook it to the PC. Whats the problem?"

Yea, I was being very stupid. Fridays...

What is an RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC?

An RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC is an integrated circuit that converts data between the RS232 and USB/RS485 communication protocols. This allows devices that use RS232 or USB/RS485 to communicate with each other.

Why would I need an RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC?

You may need an RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC if you have devices that use different communication protocols and need to connect them together. This is commonly seen in industrial and scientific applications where older RS232 devices need to communicate with newer USB/RS485 devices.

What are the main differences between RS232 and USB/RS485?

RS232 is a serial communication protocol that is commonly used for short distance communication between devices. USB/RS485, on the other hand, is a more advanced protocol that allows for longer distance communication and can support multiple devices on the same connection.

How do I choose the right RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC for my needs?

When choosing an RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC, you should consider factors such as the data transfer rate, voltage levels, and compatibility with your devices. It is also important to ensure that the IC has the necessary software and drivers for your operating system.

Are there any limitations to using an RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC?

While an RS232 to USB/RS485 conversion IC can greatly improve communication between devices, it is important to note that there may be limitations in terms of data transfer speed and compatibility with certain devices. It is always best to consult the manufacturer's specifications and do thorough testing before implementing the IC in your system.