Calculating Weight at Different Altitudes Using Gravitational Acceleration

• Thread starter warnexus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, The gravitational acceleration at the International Space Station’s altitude is about 93% of its surface value. This means that the weight of a 72 kg astronaut at this altitude would be about 67 kg. The equation used to find weight is w=mg, where w is weight, m is the mass, and g is the gravity's acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity at the surface is 9.81 meters per second every second.
warnexus

Homework Statement

The gravitational acceleration at the International Space Station’s altitude is about 93% of its surface value.

What’s the weight of a 72 kg astronaut at this altitude?

Homework Equations

w=mg
where w is weight
m is the mass
g is the gravity's acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

mass is given as 72kg

I know the station is a satellite in space. but how do i go about finding acceleration? any tips would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
warnexus said:
I know the station is a satellite in space. but how do i go about finding acceleration?
What's the 'surface value' of the acceleration due to gravity?

Doc Al said:
What's the 'surface value' of the acceleration due to gravity?

well i know acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 meters per second every second. Ah so that's what they are asking! I got it! =]

What is the formula for finding the weight of an object?

The formula for finding the weight of an object is W = m x g, where W represents weight, m represents mass, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How do you measure the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be measured using a balance or scale. The object is placed on one side of the balance and standard weights are placed on the other side until equilibrium is reached. The total weight of the standard weights is then equal to the mass of the object.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight varies depending on the gravitational pull, whereas mass remains constant.

How does the weight of an object change on different planets?

The weight of an object changes on different planets because the gravitational pull is different. The formula for weight (W = m x g) shows that weight is directly proportional to the acceleration due to gravity (g). Therefore, the weight of an object will be different on different planets depending on the strength of their gravitational pull.

What is the unit of measurement for weight?

The unit of measurement for weight is a newton (N) in the metric system and a pound (lb) in the imperial system. Other common units include kilogram-force (kgf) and pound-force (lbf).