Third Option Re: Something from Nothing? Not Possible

• Thread starter Picklehead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of a third option for the origin of the universe, between it being either temporal/finite or eternal/infinite. However, it is argued that all possibilities ultimately boil down to one of these two options. The idea of a third option is compared to other binary options, such as two lines either intersecting or not, or a bit being either 1 or 0. It is also suggested that the concept of a third option may be limited by our current understanding and there could be something else entirely that we have yet to conceive. However, this is still ultimately a choice between temporal/finite or eternal/infinite.
Picklehead
Regarding the current thread on something from nothing, or something eternal and the possibility of a third option. I felt that if I didnt start a specific thread on the third option, that my post would get buried.

There is no third option.

In my opinion, saying that there is a third option is like saying, when it comes to the natural numbers, that there is neither a finite number of them, nor an infinite number of them, but 'something else' in between. Or, conversely, that there is both an infinite number of them, and a finite number of them, and that is 'something else'. Can the possibilities for that 'something else' even be coherently described without calling it something blatently contradictory like 'there is a finite number of natural numbers that never end' or, 'there is an infinite number of natural numbers that eventually comes to an end'?

Or consider two lines (on a plane, a sphere, or a torus, it doesn't matter) . . . either they intersect, or they dont. As far as I know there is no possible exception to that.

Or how about a bit . . . either 1 or 0 . . . on or off. That has little to do with the topic, I know, but I think I made my point that suggesting that there is a third option to the universe being either temporal/finite or eternal/infinite is like suggesting that there is a third digit you will find in base 2 arithmitic if you just keep at it.

Or that matter is neither discrete or continuous (that one is actually pretty fuzzy when you factor in particle/wave duality, so that one isn't quite so damning).

Or that there is a mathematical operation that isn't ultimately an addition or subtraction of quantities . . . but 'something else'.

Or . . . ok, now its just getting silly.

Physics news on Phys.org
saying there is no 3rd option make a lot of assumptions some are not prepared to make. It could be some form of existence not even concieved of that is exactly the "something" in the sense that we think of it, or something we haven't even thought of yet. Option 3 just says you're not sure what it is and you're leaving your options open

Zantra: "It could be some form of existence . . ."

And that 'some form of existence' either at some point in the past came into being, or simply has always been.

While there are a multitude of different ways to explain and to interpret 'came into being' and 'has always been' they all boil down to either one or the other.

Zantra: "Option 3 just says you're not sure what it is and you're leaving your options open."

So option 3 isn't 'something else entirely', but 'I don't know'?

1. Can something really come from nothing?

The concept of something coming from nothing is a philosophical and scientific debate that has been ongoing for centuries. In physics, it is often argued that the universe had a beginning, but the concept of absolute nothingness is difficult to define. Some theories suggest that the universe was created from a singularity, while others propose the idea of a multiverse. Ultimately, the answer to this question is still unclear and is a topic of ongoing research and debate.

2. Is the "Third Option" a legitimate theory?

The "Third Option" theory, also known as quantum fluctuation, is a hypothesis that suggests that something can come from nothing due to the random fluctuations in the quantum field. This theory has gained attention in recent years, but it is still a speculative concept and has not been proven or accepted by the scientific community as a whole. Further research and evidence are needed to determine the validity of this theory.

3. How does the concept of conservation of energy fit into this debate?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This law is important in the discussion of something coming from nothing, as the concept of creating something out of nothing would violate this fundamental principle of physics. However, some theories suggest that energy can be created from the quantum vacuum, which is not nothing but rather a state of fluctuating energy. This is a complex and ongoing topic of research in physics.

4. What evidence supports or refutes the idea of something coming from nothing?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence that definitively supports or refutes the idea of something coming from nothing. The concept of the universe having a beginning, as proposed by the Big Bang theory, suggests that something came from nothing. However, this theory does not address the question of what existed before the Big Bang. Additionally, some experiments in quantum mechanics have shown that particles can seemingly come into existence from nothing, but this is still not fully understood and does not necessarily prove that something can come from true nothingness.

5. How does this debate impact our understanding of the origin of the universe?

The question of something coming from nothing has significant implications for our understanding of the origin of the universe. Many theories about the beginning of the universe, such as the Big Bang theory, rely on the idea of something coming from nothing. However, the concept of absolute nothingness is still a mystery and has not been definitively proven or disproven. As scientists continue to explore this complex topic, our understanding of the origin of the universe may continue to evolve and change.