Understanding the Relationship Between Mass and Gravity: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between mass, weight, and gravity. The weight of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity. Force, which is measured in Newtons, is also related to mass and acceleration through Newton's 2nd law. The units for mass can be expressed as Newtons divided by acceleration, but it is more common to express it in kilograms. The resulting force will still be in Newtons.
mushhhy
I hope this is in the proper section, if not sorry.
I need help understanding therelationships between gramass and gravity
masss is m weight is w gravity is g m=w/g, if w is expressed in kg and g in (m/s^2) the resultant will be in Newtons. Is this right or wrong ?

If I am trying to obtain the force F exerted on an object (in Newtons) and the mass is expressed in Newtons and multiplied by the acceleration in (m/s^2) will the answer still be in Newtons ?

Please explain this process to me

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but I'll make a few comments. An object has mass, which is measured in kg. The object's weight is the gravitational force exerted on it. Force is measured in Newtons. For an object on the Earth's surface, the weight equals mg, where "g" is the "acceleration due to gravity", which is about 9.8 m/s^2. Thus: w = mg.

All of this relates to Newton's 2nd law: F = ma, in which force has units of Newton, mass has units of kg, and acceleration has units of m/s^2. (Note that this is just one common system of units; there are others.)

Thanks, can you help with my other posts :bugeye:

This might be a cruel lesson in units if you meant that the mass was expressed in Newtons divided by the acceleration, instead of Newtons multiplied by the acceleration.

F=ma, therefore, m=F/a, and units for m could be N/m/s^2.

I have a book that is 2 kg.
I have a book that is 2 N/(m/s^2)

They are the same thing, but people will look at you funny if you express it the 2nd way.

And if this is what they meant, yes, the resulting force will be in Newtons.

1. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The relationship between mass and gravity is direct and proportional. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull will be. This is described by the famous equation, F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does mass affect the strength of gravity?

As mentioned in the previous answer, mass directly affects the strength of gravity. The greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull. This is why large objects, such as planets, have a much stronger gravitational pull compared to smaller objects, such as rocks.

3. Can mass and gravity be changed or manipulated?

Mass and gravity cannot be changed or manipulated. Mass is an inherent property of an object and cannot be altered. Gravity, on the other hand, is a force that is determined by the mass and distance between two objects. While gravity can be affected by changing the distance between objects, it cannot be directly manipulated.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, but mass remains constant.

5. How does gravity affect objects in space?

In space, where there is almost no air resistance, gravity is the main force acting on objects. The gravitational pull of large objects, such as planets and stars, can cause smaller objects, such as satellites, to orbit around them. Gravity also plays a crucial role in the formation and movement of celestial bodies in the universe.