Lindsey Graham '08? Is It Possible?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, Lindsey Graham is a very competent politician with a lot of experience. He is also a very likable person which could help him win the election if he decides to run. However, his past may prevent him from being able to win the conservative vote, and he may not be as qualified as other candidates when it comes to running on the economy.
wasteofo2
I was just talking to a friend about '08, and the thought occurred to me that Lindsey Graham, one of the (seemingly) most intelligent, competent, likable, pragmatic and prominant Republicans out there, has had no talk centered around the possibility that he might run in '08. I've not heard a single person talk about this possibility, but I really can not think of any reason why not.

What do ya'll think of his chances of possibly running in '08? I think he'd be a great Candidate, and with not being a complete moron (as Bush is), could probabally win the Country VERY easily (unless the Democrats choose Bayh or Warner). Is there something about his past that would preclude him from running for President? I mean, Clinton slept around all the time, and Bush was an alcoholic and a cokehead, so what could Graham have done that was so bad?

Physics news on Phys.org
If he could get enough exposure in the next four years, perhaps, but like Barack Obama on the Dem side, what is his political experience? (Bush only had five years as a Governor, but had the family name.)
wasteofo2 said:
Is there something about his past that would preclude him from running for President? I mean, Clinton slept around all the time, and Bush was an alcoholic and a cokehead, so what could Graham have done that was so bad?
Geez - Sounds like Southpark's giant douche versus a turd sandwich! :rofl: Like I said about Biden, what ever he's done, as long as he repents, that's what's important! Or maybe he could get Doug Wead to release some tapes...

SOS2008 said:
If he could get enough exposure in the next four years, perhaps, but like Barack Obama on the Dem side, what is his political experience?

Lindsey Graham was elected to the SC state senate in '92, the US House of Representatives in '94, and the US Senate in 2002. He's not like Obama, who went straight from State Senator to US Senator; he'll have had at least 16 years as a legislature by the time '08 runs around.

wasteofo2 said:
Lindsey Graham was elected to the SC state senate in '92, the US House of Representatives in '94, and the US Senate in 2002. He's not like Obama, who went straight from State Senator to US Senator; he'll have had at least 16 years as a legislature by the time '08 runs around.
That is significant -- I'll have to take a closer look at him...

What about James Byrd for the democrats? I've always loved that guy - I even just love watching him on C-Span. It's like watching Cicero pontificating amongst apes.

Having Lindsey Graham run for President is a little scarier than having Bill Frist run. Graham's even further to the right and might be tougher to beat in a campaign than Frist.

Both of the two front runners I'm most interested in (I'm pro-Hagel and anti-Frist) need to buy some charisma lessons. Right now, both look a lot better on paper to their respective supporters than in their public appearances. Giuliani would whip either of them.

If he has a personality, Lindsey Graham could replace Bill Frist as the darling of the religous right and of groups looking to repeal affirmative action. So far, he's managed to hold true to the political traditions of South Carolina Republicans.

Lindsey Graham managed to make a name for himself with an impressive performance at Bill Clinton's impeachment, so he at least has some potential in the public appearance area.

BobG said:
Having Lindsey Graham run for President is a little scarier than having Bill Frist run. Graham's even further to the right and might be tougher to beat in a campaign than Frist. ...If he has a personality, Lindsey Graham could replace Bill Frist as the darling of the religous right and of groups looking to repeal affirmative action.
If this is the case, and on the "culture war" scale Frist is a nine, that means Graham is a 10! If we are truly to "let the healing begin" in this country, this is not what is needed. And to back this up, this is why I'm not too crazy about H. Clinton being on the Dem. ticket. Hmmmm, I hadn't thought about James Byrd...

He has one problem that's sure to trash his chances with conservatives - during his campaign for Senator, contributions from lawyers were nearly twice as high as any other group that contributed money to his campaign. Wasn't that one of problems conservatives had with John Edwards?

(Okay, I'm just being silly :rofl: )

loseyourname said:
What about James Byrd for the democrats? I've always loved that guy - I even just love watching him on C-Span. It's like watching Cicero pontificating amongst apes.
Uhh...
I don't think a former KKK member would fly with too many traditional Democratic voters.

Just imagine Byrd vs. Guliani, with the south going Democratic and North-East lining up to vote Republican!

Who wouldn't love a map like THIS http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/wasteofo2/Byrdvs.jpg

By the way, I think you're thinking of Robert Byrd, the EXTREMELY old Senator from West Virginia, right?

Last edited:
wasteofo2 said:
By the way, I think you're thinking of Robert Byrd, the EXTREMELY old Senator from West Virginia, right?

Indeed I am. One of the most eloquent Americans in public life.

There are going to be many people on the Repulican side who are going to try to run for the nomination. I don't know very much about Graham, but he doesn't sound like he would be that bad of a candidate. Guiliani might be a better candidate. I don't know. It depends on how their agendas jive with the public's agenda.

Waste, that would be pretty funny to see the North go Repulican and the South go Democrat! That map would certainly irritate the living daylights out of the teachers at my school...all except for two of my teachers are democrats...and the majority of the student body is republican.

As far as the Democratic ticket goes, I don't favor Hiliary Clinton as a candidate. I don't like her policies. Not to hold this against her, but I don't know if the majority of the nation is ready to have a woman president. I would LOVE to see a woman President, but I'm not sure the majority of the popualtion shares my feelings. The democrats seem like they are still trying to bounce back from their defeat in this last election. I'm not so sure there are going to be a ton of candidates fighting for the nomination. Then again I could be wrong...politics is a strange unpredicatble animal.

misskitty said:
The democrats seem like they are still trying to bounce back from their defeat in this last election. I'm not so sure there are going to be a ton of candidates fighting for the nomination. Then again I could be wrong...politics is a strange unpredicatble animal.
I wouldn't count on that AT ALL buddy.

All these guys are pretty likely to run:

Joe Biden
Evan Bayh
John Edwards
Bill Richardson
Mark Warner

And possibly:
John Kerry
Wesley Clark

And you know there'll be a few random people who know one would predict too.

wasteofo2 said:
I wouldn't count on that AT ALL buddy.

All these guys are pretty likely to run:

Joe Biden
Evan Bayh
John Edwards
Bill Richardson
Mark Warner

And possibly:
John Kerry
Wesley Clark

And you know there'll be a few random people who know one would predict too.
If the Dems would put up a Western Democrat, like Richardson, Harry Reid, Ben Nelson, Janet Napolitano, or Bill Owens (oh, wait, he's Republican, it's just hard to visualize him as a Colorado Republican) I might flip sides (again), especially if the Republicans nominate Frist or someone like Lindsey Graham.

BobG said:
If the Dems would put up a Western Democrat, like Richardson, Harry Reid, Ben Nelson, Janet Napolitano, or Bill Owens (oh, wait, he's Republican, it's just hard to visualize him as a Colorado Republican) I might flip sides (again), especially if the Republicans nominate Frist or someone like Lindsey Graham.
Janet rocks! Very smart and doing a great job finding compromise in a largely Republican legislature--still the Republicans are doing their best to replace her with one of their own. If someone like Frist get's the Republican nomination, I'll flip all right, and not the way you're talking about...I don't think I can take too much more bible-thumpin' :yuck: When reading/posting the speech by Richard Lamm about illegal immigration, preserving a common language, etc., I found it interesting he was neither party, though I can't remember what party now...

BobG said:
What about Bayh?

Waste, like I said I wasn't sure what the democrats are planning on doing for '08. Thats why I said I might be wrong.

I'm not sure who is going to win the nomination. Who is most likely to win the nod?

I have no idea, and there's no real point in guessing either - in 2001, who would've guessed that John Kerry would be the Candidate, and brutally destroy Gephardt in Iowa?

Pointlessly, I'd guess that it'll be Bayh, but who knows...

Very true. What do you think the probablitiy of Hilary Clinton winning the democratic nomination for president is? Just curious.

misskitty said:
Very true. What do you think the probablitiy of Hilary Clinton winning the democratic nomination for president is? Just curious.
15% ish.

She's got a relatively huge core of dedicated supporters, and a lot of people who really like her but don't think she could win. It really depends on how well she campaigns and who her opponents are - but I think most people will realize that she couldn't win (unless the Republicans choose someone HORIRBLE), and vote against her for that reason, just like Howard Dean...

wasteofo2 said:
What about Bayh?
Bayh would be a good choice, as well.

What a contrast to Bush and Gore! A famous senator's son who's actually better in the offices he's held than his father was (rather than just riding on the coat tails of their daddy's names the way Gore and Bush did).

Thats a consistant theme in politics, its runs in generation. Its a bit surprising to hear of a senator who actually has done something in his office better than his father. Most of the time you hear about people who just get in because of the prestige it brings to their name.

1. Is Lindsey Graham Actually Running for President in 2008?

Yes, Lindsey Graham did run for president in the 2008 election. He officially announced his candidacy on January 5, 2007, but dropped out of the race on December 7, 2007, due to low polling numbers.

2. What Were Lindsey Graham's Main Campaign Issues in 2008?

During his campaign in 2008, Lindsey Graham focused on national security, fiscal responsibility, and immigration reform as his main issues. He also emphasized his experience as a military lawyer and his support for the Iraq War.

3. How Did Lindsey Graham Perform in the 2008 Primary Elections?

Lindsey Graham struggled to gain traction in the 2008 primary elections. He only received 1% of the vote in the Iowa caucus and 0.4% in the New Hampshire primary. He dropped out of the race before the South Carolina primary, where he was expected to do well.

4. What Was the Reason for Lindsey Graham's Early Exit from the 2008 Race?

Lindsey Graham's low polling numbers and lack of support were the main reasons for his early exit from the 2008 race. He also faced financial challenges and struggled to raise enough funds to continue his campaign.

5. Did Lindsey Graham Endorse Any Candidate After Dropping Out of the 2008 Race?

Yes, after dropping out of the 2008 race, Lindsey Graham endorsed Senator John McCain for president. He also served as a surrogate for McCain's campaign and traveled with him on the campaign trail.