Probability Quiz: Variables X1 to X46, Expectation E(Xj)=0

That assumes the Xis are independent, but we don't know that they are. I don't know what else to suggest without more information.In summary, the variables X1, X2, ..., Xn are independent and take values of 1 and -1, with an expected value of 0. When n = 46, the correlation coefficient (ρ) between Y = X1+X2+X3+...+Xn and Z = X1+X2+X3+...+Xn+1 is being sought. Using the formula ρ(Y,Z) = COV(Y,Z)/(σY*σZ), where σY and σZ are the standard deviations of Y and Z
ParisSpart
the variables X1,X2,... are independents and taking values 1 and -1 and their expected value E(Xj)=0 and we have Y=X1+X2+X3+...+Xn AND Z=X1+X2+X3+...+Xn+1 find the ρ(Y,Z) for n=46

i know that ρ(Υ,Ζ)=COV(Y,Z)/(σΥ*σZ)

where σY = sqrt(varY) and σZ=sqrt(varZ) how i can find them because we don't have any sum or probability to estimate them, For the cov(Y,Z) i think tha is 0 because Xj are indepents and expected value still 0 but is says tha its not true what i am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ParisSpart said:
the variables X1,X2,... are independents and taking values 1 and -1 and their expected value E(Xj)=0
In other words, for all i, P(Xi= -1)= 1/3, P(Xi= 0)= 1/3, and P(Xi= 0)= 1/3.
(Unless you are missing the word "is": "and their expected value is E(Xj)= 0". In that case, P(Xi= -1)= 1/2, P(Xi= 1)= 1/2.)

and we have Y=X1+X2+X3+...+Xn AND Z=X1+X2+X3+...+Xn+1 find the ρ(Y,Z) for n=46

i know that ρ(Υ,Ζ)=COV(Y,Z)/(σΥ*σZ)

where σY = sqrt(varY) and σZ=sqrt(varZ) how i can find them because we don't have any sum or probability to estimate them, For the cov(Y,Z) i think tha is 0 because Xj are indepents and expected value still 0 but is says tha its not true what i am doing wrong?

HallsofIvy said:
In other words, for all i, P(Xi= -1)= 1/3, P(Xi= 0)= 1/3, and P(Xi= 0)= 1/3.
(Unless you are missing the word "is": "and their expected value is E(Xj)= 0". In that case, P(Xi= -1)= 1/2, P(Xi= 1)= 1/2.)
I read it as "their expected value, E(Xj), = 0". So P(Xi= -1) = P(Xi= 1)= 1/2.
For the cov(Y,Z) i think tha is 0 because Xj are indepents
But Y and Z depend on n of the same samples, so will not be independent. On an occasion when Y turns out to be higher than normal, Z likely will be too.

how i can find E(YZ)=? i can't think how to find it

ParisSpart said:
how i can find E(YZ)=? i can't think how to find it
Write the expression for YZ in terms of the Xi (using Ʃ). The E() of a sum is the sum of the E()s.

1. What is the purpose of a probability quiz with variables X1 to X46?

The purpose of a probability quiz with variables X1 to X46 is to test an individual's understanding and knowledge of probability concepts and their ability to apply them to a given set of variables.

2. How is the expectation E(Xj)=0 calculated in this probability quiz?

The expectation E(Xj)=0 is calculated by multiplying the probability of each outcome by its corresponding value, then summing all of these products together. In this quiz, the expected value is equal to 0, meaning that the average outcome is not expected to deviate significantly from the overall mean of the population.

3. Are all 46 variables equally important in this probability quiz?

No, not all 46 variables are equally important. Some variables may have a higher probability of occurring or a larger impact on the overall outcome, making them more important to consider in the calculation of the expectation.

4. Can the expectation E(Xj)=0 be negative in this probability quiz?

Yes, the expectation E(Xj)=0 can be negative in this probability quiz. This means that the average outcome is expected to be less than the overall mean of the population. It is important to note that the expectation is just a theoretical calculation and may not always reflect the actual outcome.

5. How can this probability quiz with variables X1 to X46 be used in real-world applications?

This probability quiz can be used to model and analyze various situations in which multiple variables are involved. For example, it can be used in risk assessment or decision-making processes where the probabilities and expected values of different outcomes need to be considered.