Infinitesimal SUSY transformation of SYM lagrangian

In summary, during the attempt to verify the invariance of the SYM lagrangian under SUSY transformation, it was found that there is a term that does not vanish. Despite the cancellation of other terms, this term remains due to the variation of A^b_\mu in the definition of the covariant derivative D_\mu \lambda^a. This term is proportional to the current of the gaugino and does not vanish by itself. It may be necessary to introduce a new field with purely algebraic equations of motion to cancel this term. However, it has been suggested that the remaining term may vanish by itself by using Fierz identity. This issue may also be related to the normed division algebras tri(\
karlzr
I tried to verify that the SYM lagrangian is invariant under SUSY transformation, but it turned out there is a term that doesn't vanish.
The SYM lagrangian is:
[tex]\mathscr{L}_{SYM}=-\frac{1}{4}F^{a\mu\nu}F^a_{\mu\nu}+i\lambda^{\dagger a}\bar{\sigma}^\mu D_\mu \lambda^a+\frac{1}{2}D^a D^a[/tex]
the infinitesimal SUSY transformations of the gauge multiplet are:
[tex]\delta A^a_\mu =-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\epsilon^\dagger \bar{\sigma}_\mu \lambda^a+\lambda^{\dagger a} \bar{\sigma}_\mu \epsilon)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\epsilon^\dagger \bar{\sigma}_\mu \lambda^a+h.c.[/tex]
[tex]\delta\lambda^a_\alpha =-\frac{i}{2\sqrt{2}}(\sigma^\mu \bar{\sigma}^\nu\epsilon)_\alpha F^a_{\mu\nu}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\epsilon_\alpha D^a[/tex]
[tex]\delta \lambda^{\dagger a}_{\dot{\alpha}} =\frac{i}{2\sqrt{2}}(\epsilon^\dagger \bar{\sigma}^\nu\sigma^\mu)_{\dot{\alpha}} F^a_{\mu\nu}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\epsilon^\dagger_{\dot{\alpha}} D^a[/tex]
[tex]\delta D^a =\frac{-i}{\sqrt{2}}(\epsilon^\dagger \bar{\sigma}^\mu D_\mu \lambda^a-D_\mu \lambda^{\dagger a}\bar{\sigma}^\mu \epsilon)=\frac{-i}{\sqrt{2}}\epsilon^\dagger \bar{\sigma}^\mu D_\mu \lambda^a+h.c.[/tex]
I derived that
[tex]\delta F^a_{\mu\nu}= -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\epsilon^\dagger(\bar{\sigma}_\nu D_\mu-\bar{\sigma}_\mu D_\nu)\lambda^a+h.c.[/tex]
Then when I calculated the variation of the total lagrangian, I obtained that the [itex]D^a[/itex] and [itex]F^a_{\mu\nu}[/itex] terms cancel out separately. But there is a term from the variation of [itex]A^b_\mu[/itex] in the definition of covariant derivative in [itex]D_\mu \lambda^a[/itex] that remains after all the other cancellation. It looks like
[tex]i g f^{abc}\lambda^{\dagger a}\bar{\sigma}^\nu \lambda^c (\epsilon^\dagger \bar{\sigma}_\nu \lambda^b+h.c.)[/tex]
This is the only term with three [itex]\lambda[/itex]s. So it seems there is no term to cancel this one. I have checked my calculation over and over again but couldn't find the mistake. So any idea what 's wrong?
Thanks a lot,

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the extra term vanish on the equations of motion?

Korybut said:

That term is proportional to the current of the gaugino. But since all [itex]D_\mu F^{a\mu\nu}[/itex] terms have already been canceled, this current term doesn't vanish by itself.

Korybut said:

Actually I do have this question. Is it ok if the infinitesimal transformation of lagrangian vanishes only after we apply the equations of motion to it? since I don't think so. I expect it vanishes off-shell.

Lagrangian should be invariant off-shell, you are right.

I am not an expert in this. But probably you need to introduce new field with purely algebraic equations of motion, like F in WZ model, just to cancel this term.

Korybut said:
Lagrangian should be invariant off-shell, you are right.

I am not an expert in this. But probably you need to introduce new field with purely algebraic equations of motion, like F in WZ model, just to cancel this term.

I think the [itex]D^a[/itex] is introduced to do the same thing as [itex]F[/itex] in WZ model. But this [itex]D^a[/itex] doesn't solve this problem. Many textbooks I know discussed the infinitesimal SUSY transformation of WZ lagrangian but not this SYM lagrangian.
Thanks though.
I guess I will check my calculation again. I couldn't think of a way to cancel the term containing three [itex]\lambda[/itex]s.

I think I know what's going on there. The remaining term vanishes by itself by using Fierz identity.

Last edited:
I think the answer to your question is related to the normed division algebras [tex] tri(\lambda)[/tex] law. It is also the reason SYM only takes place in dimensions 3,4,6,10 same with super strings and why there only superbranes in 4 different dimensions due to the fact there are only 4 normed division algebras. Check out this paper.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/sym.pdf

What is an infinitesimal SUSY transformation?

An infinitesimal SUSY transformation is a small change in the parameters of a super-symmetric (SUSY) theory that preserves the symmetries of the theory. It is a way to relate particles with different spin states and allows for the unification of bosons and fermions.

What is a SYM lagrangian?

The SYM lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the interactions between particles in a super-symmetric Yang-Mills (SYM) theory. It includes terms for the gauge fields, fermions, and their interactions, and is used to calculate the dynamics of the system.

What is the significance of an infinitesimal SUSY transformation of the SYM lagrangian?

An infinitesimal SUSY transformation of the SYM lagrangian allows for the calculation of the effects of small changes in the parameters of a super-symmetric theory. This is important because it allows for the study of the behavior of particles in a super-symmetric system and the prediction of their interactions.

How is an infinitesimal SUSY transformation of the SYM lagrangian calculated?

An infinitesimal SUSY transformation of the SYM lagrangian is calculated using the super-symmetric algebra. This algebra includes generators for the SUSY transformations and rules for how these transformations affect the fields in the lagrangian. By applying these rules, the infinitesimal transformation of the lagrangian can be calculated.

What are the applications of the infinitesimal SUSY transformation of the SYM lagrangian?

The infinitesimal SUSY transformation of the SYM lagrangian has many applications in theoretical physics. It is used to study the behavior of particles in super-symmetric systems, to make predictions about the interactions between particles, and to develop new theories for understanding the fundamental forces of nature.