Tap Water Flow Reduction: Why Does Distance Matter?

In summary, the cross section of water emerging from a tap decreases with tap distance due to the water accelerating as it falls. This is because the speed increases as it falls, causing the cross-section to decrease. The water stream retains a narrow shape due to surface tension. People appreciate the questions asked on this site and enjoy getting answers to their own questions.
Jayse_83
Hi,
Please could someone explain why it is that the cross section of water emerging from a tap decreases with tap distance ... is it due to air resistance acting to form some kind of aerodynamic shape? any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simply that the water accelerates as it falls. The rate (mass per second) at which water flows remains the same throughout the stream, but since the speed increases as it falls, the cross-section must decrease. The stream retains a narrow shape (instead of falling straight down like rain) due to surface tension holding things together.

wow! great answer, thanks Doc :D

Jayse_83 said:
wow! great answer, thanks Doc :D
You want to know what I love best about this place? Too bad; I'm going to tell you anyhow. It's that people like you ask questions that never entered my mind in my entire life until I see them here, and then I want to know the answer as well. And I get one. This whole site rocks! :approve:

1. What is "Tap Water Flow Reduction"?

Tap water flow reduction refers to the decrease in water pressure or flow rate that occurs as water travels through pipes from its source to the tap or faucet.

2. Why does distance matter in tap water flow reduction?

Distance matters because the longer the distance water has to travel through pipes, the more friction and resistance it encounters, resulting in a decrease in flow rate. This is known as head loss.

3. How does tap water flow reduction impact water usage?

Tap water flow reduction can impact water usage by making it more difficult to perform tasks that require a high flow rate, such as filling a large pot or taking a shower. It can also lead to longer wait times for hot water to reach the tap, resulting in increased water waste.

4. Can tap water flow reduction be prevented?

Tap water flow reduction can be prevented by using larger diameter pipes, reducing the number of bends and turns in the pipes, and minimizing the distance between the water source and the tap. Regular maintenance and cleaning of pipes can also help prevent flow reduction.

5. Are there any health concerns related to tap water flow reduction?

No, tap water flow reduction does not pose any health concerns. However, it can contribute to water waste and may make it more difficult to perform certain tasks that require a high flow rate, such as washing dishes or filling a bathtub.