Cook a Turkey: Time Calculation Equation

• Thread starter bluecheez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: You're absolutely right - getting the turkey to the correct temperature is critical. If you don't, the equation won't work well. In summary, the equation obtained empirically to obtain the amount of time it takes to cook a turkey is W(2/3)/1.5. The heat transfer is dominated by conduction, and the appropriate distance measure is r. The weight in SI are Newton in imperial units it's pound. I strongly recommend to stay within one system of units. There are tragic and expensive examples for technical failures only because two systems of units where at use. I think one Mars probe launched by the NASA only failed because one person thought in feet and the other in metres. I guess it was NASA's
bluecheez
According to this website, there is an equation obtained empirically to obtain the amount of time it takes to cook a Turkey:

t = W(2/3)/1.5

Is there any theory to support such a relation? Yes, the internal structure of a turkey is complicated so I'm sure the proper way to do it is to numerically model a PDE of the heat equation.
But are there any approximates we can use in real life to get a good idea of how long it'll take to cook something?

Physics news on Phys.org
bluecheez said:
According to this website, there is an equation obtained empirically to obtain the amount of time it takes to cook a Turkey:

t = W(2/3)/1.5

Is there any theory to support such a relation? Yes, the internal structure of a turkey is complicated so I'm sure the proper way to do it is to numerically model a PDE of the heat equation.
But are there any approximates we can use in real life to get a good idea of how long it'll take to cook something?
The W2/3 seems to suggest that the heat transfer is dominated by conduction. Approximate the turkey by a sphere, and look up the solution to the transient heat conduction problem for a sphere, assuming that the temperature is T0 at time zero and that the oven temperature is at T. The solution to this heat conduction problem is in the literature, expressed as the average temperature change as a function of the Fourier number. Decide what temperature the center of the sphere has to reach for the turkey to be considered cooked. This will correspond to a specific value of the Fourier number. The Fourier number has an r2 in the denominator, which is proportional to W2/3.

The diffusion of heat into many objects, including a sphere and a semi-infinite slab, results in the relationship t~x^2 to reach a given temperature where x is a linear distance. For a sphere, the appropriate distance measure is r, so t~r^2. Since weight is proportional to r^3, you have that t~W^(2/3). It is only the numerical factor of 1.5 that needs to be empirically determined.

Interesting. For "normal" range of turkey weights, the Panofsky formula is nearly linear and is close to "90 minutes plus 11 minutes per pound." For turkeys from 8 to 24 pounds, the maximum deviation between the formula and this linear approximation is less than 8 minutes, which is negligible. It is important to get the bird close to room temperature before putting it in the oven, otherwise these "rules" won't work well.

What units are the weight and the time? SI or Imperial?

w^2/3 is proportional to surface area. That's not crazy - I'd expect the true answer to be between 2/3 and 1. The 1.5 is just a constant from using conventional units. In Natural Turkey Units, this would be 1.

Likes russ_watters and Ibix
pickycat said:
What units are the weight and the time? SI or Imperial?
The weight in SI are Newton in imperial units it's pound. I strongly recommend to stay within one system of units. There are tragic and expensive examples for technical failures only because two systems of units where at use. I think one Mars probe launched by the NASA only failed because one person thought in feet and the other in metres. I guess it was NASA's fault using SI units :biggrin:.

Likes pickycat
vanhees71 said:
The weight in SI are Newton in imperial units it's pound. I strongly recommend to stay within one system of units. There are tragic and expensive examples for technical failures only because two systems of units where at use. I think one Mars probe launched by the NASA only failed because one person thought in feet and the other in metres. I guess it was NASA's fault using SI units :biggrin:.
Ha, Ha! Very true! YET, I was asking about the time and the weight in the particular turkey cooking time function of the turkey's weight. In the meantime, I did search some more and I found that in this particular relationship the time has to be in hours, while the weight is in pounds. (Had I assumed SI units, like MOST physicists would use, I would have the same tragic outcome as NASA did!)

Well, use a thermometer, and you get your turkey right to the point!

Likes berkeman and pickycat

1. How do I calculate the cooking time for a turkey?

The general rule for calculating the cooking time for a turkey is to allow 15-20 minutes per pound of turkey. So for example, if your turkey weighs 12 pounds, you would need to cook it for approximately 3-4 hours.

2. Is there a more accurate way to calculate the cooking time?

Yes, there is a more accurate way to calculate the cooking time for a turkey. You can use the USDA's recommended cooking times based on the weight of your turkey. These can be found online or on the packaging of your turkey. You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the turkey, which should be at least 165°F in the thickest part of the breast and thigh.

3. Do I need to adjust the cooking time for a stuffed turkey?

Yes, if you are planning on cooking a stuffed turkey, you will need to adjust the cooking time. Stuffed turkeys require more cooking time, usually an extra 30 minutes to an hour depending on the weight and type of stuffing used. It is important to make sure the stuffing reaches an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.

4. How can I make sure my turkey is cooked evenly?

To ensure your turkey is cooked evenly, you can rotate the turkey every 30 minutes during the cooking process. You can also cover the breast with foil for the first half of the cooking time and then remove it for the remaining time to prevent the breast from drying out.

5. Can I use the same cooking time for a fresh and frozen turkey?

No, you cannot use the same cooking time for a fresh and frozen turkey. Frozen turkeys require more cooking time, usually an additional 50% of the recommended time for a fresh turkey. It is important to thaw a frozen turkey completely before cooking to ensure it cooks evenly and is safe to eat.