Rigorous Definition of Infinitesimal Projection Operator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of learning the math behind quantum mechanics, specifically the topics of point-set topology, integration theory, functional analysis, and operator algebras. The speaker mentions their personal experience with different books and recommendations for others. They also mention a new book by Conway that may be helpful for understanding these concepts.
Cruikshank
I've been reading Thomas Jordan's Linear Operators for Quantum Mechanics, and I am stalled out at the bottom of page 40. He has just defined the projection operator E(x) by E(x)(f(y)) = {f(y) if y≤x, or 0 if y>x.} Then he defines dE(x) as E(x)-E(x-ε) for ε>0 but smaller than the gap between eigenvalues. Okay, so long as the eigenvalue spectrum is discrete...but then he just announces that ∫dE= E (limits -∞ to ∞) when it is supposed to be a discrete sum. I can sort of almost accept the handwave there, but then in the next line, he states ∫xdE = A, and that just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, in a vague handwaving sense, maybe, but how does one define this so that it rigorously makes sense for operators with continuous eigenvalue spectrum?

Is there a particular reference you recommend? Please, not Von Neumann--I spent months on that book and found over 130 errata; it was the worst way imaginable to learn this math.

Relatedly, I've looked at several texts on the theory of integration (I keep running into "Stiejles" integrals references and Lesbegue integration, but haven't found a good book yet for learning the details that didn't make it more boring than doing taxes.) Any suggestions there? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the relevant theorems can be proved to a typical QM student in less than 300 pages. 500 pages sounds about right. I still haven't made it to the end. The topics you need to study are point-set topology, integration theory, introductory functional analysis (the basics of Hilbert spaces), operator algebras and spectral theorems. And you probably need to study linear algebra again.

I find it difficult to recommend books for you, because I chose a path that probably isn't the best one. I used Axler's "Linear algebra done right" to refresh my memory and learn a few new things. That was a good choice. Axler probably has the best selection of topics for a QM student. Then I dove right into Conway's "A course in functional analysis", but I found it impossibly hard. You have to know point-set topology really well to give that one a shot, and I didn't at the time. (In particular, you have to know everything about compact sets very well). So I moved on to Sunder's "Functional analysis: Spectral theory", and started with the appendices on linear algebra and topology. I also used some other books to supplement that appendix on topology, in particular Munkres. This was an OK way to learn topology, but there are probably better ways. When I had learned some topology, I found the early chapters of Conway quite useful (e.g. the stuff about the projection theorem and orthonormal bases), even though they were still hard to read. The proofs in Friedman's "Foundations of modern analysis" were much easier to follow.

I also used Friedman to learn some stuff about integration theory, but I found the presentation very difficult to follow. I supplemented it with Lang's "Real and functional analysis", which has a similar approach, and Capinski & Kopp's "Measure, integral and probability", which has a more traditional approach. I figured it out eventually, but I had to work very hard to get there.

I got distracted by other things a few years ago, and had to put this aside, but I recently started working on it again. Right now I'm studying sections of Murphy's "C*-algebras and operator theory" and Sunder's book again.

People have told me that Kreyszig's book on functional analysis is very good. It's too late for me to switch to that approach, but It may be a good place to start for you.

Last edited:
Conway has a new book by the way: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821890832/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It's easier and a lot better than his functional analysis book.
He also has a truly excellent book on operator algebras, but Murphy is also really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. What is the definition of an infinitesimal projection operator?

An infinitesimal projection operator is a mathematical concept used in vector spaces to represent the projection of a vector onto a subspace. It is a linear transformation that maps a vector onto a subspace, preserving its direction and size.

2. How is an infinitesimal projection operator different from a regular projection operator?

An infinitesimal projection operator is different from a regular projection operator in that it represents an infinitely small projection onto a subspace, while a regular projection operator represents a finite projection onto a subspace.

3. What is the purpose of an infinitesimal projection operator?

An infinitesimal projection operator is used in calculus and differential geometry to represent infinitesimal changes in a vector or a function. It is also used in optimization problems to find the shortest distance between a point and a subspace.

4. How is an infinitesimal projection operator calculated?

An infinitesimal projection operator is calculated using the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves finding an orthonormal basis for the subspace onto which the vector is being projected. The projection operator is then constructed using this basis.

5. What are the applications of an infinitesimal projection operator?

Infinitesimal projection operators have various applications in mathematics and physics, including optimization problems, differential geometry, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.