Mapping Class Group of Contractible Spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the mapping class group of a contractible space and its triviality or non-triviality depending on whether isotopy or homotopy is considered. The concept of isotopy is further explored in relation to homeomorphisms and the extension of maps from the interior to the closed disk. It is also mentioned that two contractible subspaces of the same space may not necessarily be isotopic.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

Isn't the mapping class group of a contractible space trivial (or, if we consider isotopy, {+/-Id})?

Since every map from a contractible space is (homotopically)trivial.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to specify what you mean by the mapping class group. Not that I don't know what it is, do the maps have to fix the boundary?

Generally, homotopic might not imply isotopic, although that's generally true for homeomorphisms of surfaces from what I remember (possibly with a couple exceptions?).

Orientation-reversing homeomorphism of a 2-disk to itself is homotopic to the identity, but not isotopic. An isotopy has to be a homeomorphism at every point in time, so it should map boundary to boundary and preserve the degree of the map on the boundary. But, as you say, everything is homotopic because it's contractible.

homeomorphic ,
This is a related question: let K be a knot in ## \mathbb R^3## , and let h: be a homeo (a relative of yours ;) ) of ## \mathbb R^3## to itself . Is h(K) ~K (as knots, i.e., they are isotopic)? I say yes (up to orientation), since MCG(## \mathbb R^3##)= {Id, -Id}, so that h(K)~Id or h(K)~ -Id(K). Do you agree?

Last edited:
Seems like that should be true, but how do you know that's the mapping class group of R^3?

There's only one homotopy class of maps, but I'm not 100% sure about isotopies.

In any case, Gordon-Lueke does imply that the knots are isotopic.

But any two isotopies are homotopies, so we only need to consider {+/- Id}. And isotopies preserve orientation, so we're done.

But any two isotopies are homotopies, so we only need to consider {+/- Id}. And isotopies preserve orientation, so we're done.

Not following. Isotopies are homotopies, but if you want to establish what the isotopy classes are, you can't use homotopies. Sure, anything is homotopic to the those, but we want isotopic.

Sorry, I skipped a few steps :we use Alexander's trick, since ##\mathbb R^n,D^n## are isomorphic. Then, every two homeos. that agree on the boundary (a condition on elements of the MCG) are isotopic .

Sorry, I skipped a few steps :we use Alexander's trick, since Rn,Dn are isomorphic. Then, every two homeos. that agree on the boundary (a condition on elements of the MCG) are isotopic.

Still not following. D^n usually includes the boundary, but R^n has no boundary. For D^n, I agree now that the mapping class group is trivial--incidentally, I just remembered, the mapping class group is usually defined to be orientation-preserving homeos, if there's an orientation.

A contractible space is a pretty general thing, though. No orientation, no -Id, no Alexander's trick. So, isotopy classes of self-homeomorphisms aren't so clear in general.

But the doesn't the isotopy between maps on D^n restrict to one between the respective interiors ? Specially since the boundary is sent to the boundary in each embedding in the path? Related :any two contractible subspaces of the same space are homotopic (an equiv. rel. ). Are they also isotopic?

Last edited:
But the doesn't the isotopy between maps on D^n restrict to one between the respective interiors ? Specially since the boundary is sent to the boundary in each embedding in the path?

The problem is that you are starting with a map on the interior, not on the whole D^n. You'd have to be able to extend it. I can't think of a counter-example off the top of my head, but it doesn't seem like you should be able to extend an arbitrary homeo of the open disk to the closed disk.

Related :any two contractible subspaces of the same space are homotopic (an equiv. rel. ). Are they also isotopic?

I don't have a very good feel for isotopy equivalence, but I don't think so.

1. What is the mapping class group of contractible spaces?

The mapping class group of contractible spaces is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of a contractible space. It is a group of homeomorphisms (continuous and bijective mappings) that preserve the topological structure of the space.

2. How is the mapping class group of contractible spaces different from other mapping class groups?

The mapping class group of contractible spaces is unique because it only contains the identity element, meaning that every homeomorphism in this group is isotopic to the identity. This is in contrast to other mapping class groups, such as the mapping class group of a closed surface, which contains non-trivial elements.

3. What are some examples of contractible spaces?

Examples of contractible spaces include the n-dimensional Euclidean space, the sphere, and the disk. These spaces have the property that any continuous map from them to a point can be continuously deformed to the constant map.

4. How is the mapping class group of contractible spaces useful in mathematics?

The mapping class group of contractible spaces has applications in various areas of mathematics, including topology, geometry, and algebraic geometry. It can be used to classify and study different types of spaces, and to understand their symmetries and properties.

5. What are some open questions and current research in the mapping class group of contractible spaces?

Some open questions in this field include understanding the structure and properties of the mapping class group of higher-dimensional contractible spaces, as well as its relationship to other mathematical concepts such as mapping class groups of non-contractible spaces and the homotopy groups of spheres. Current research is also focused on applications of this group in other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of moduli spaces and in geometric group theory.