Experimenting with CD: Making Bubbles with Physics

• Thread starter Oomph!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
CD. He was fascinated by this, but didn't understand the physics behind it. The man explained that by heating the CD, it would create more force when blown on, resulting in bubbles. This is due to the plastic melting and deforming into a bubble shape when blown on, similar to blowing soap bubbles through a loop.
Oomph!
Hello, everyone.
I saw this experiment:
A man is doing experiment with part of CD. He is making bubbles on it.
It is really interesting for me, but I really don't know how it works from physics view.

The blow makes some force with pushing on CD and it can push better if the CD is hot, yeah?
But how it can make bubbles? What is happen from view of molecular physic?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
have you not blown soap bubbles using a loop ?

this is just the same. He just has to heat the plastic hot enough so that it will melt and deform
in this case into a bubble when it is blownDave

What materials do I need for this experiment?

To make bubbles with a CD, you will need a CD, a bowl of water, dish soap, and a straw.

How do I create the bubble solution?

To create the bubble solution, mix water and dish soap in a bowl. The ratio should be about 1 part dish soap to 4 parts water.

What is the role of the CD in this experiment?

The CD will act as a tool to create the bubbles. When dipped in the bubble solution and rotated, the CD's edges will create a thin film of soapy water, which will form the bubbles.

Can I use a different type of CD or DVD for this experiment?

Yes, you can use any type of CD or DVD for this experiment as long as it has a shiny surface. However, the results may vary depending on the type of disc used.

What scientific principles are involved in this experiment?

This experiment involves the principles of surface tension and the properties of soap and water. The soap reduces the surface tension of the water, allowing the bubbles to form and the CD creates a thin film of soapy water, which traps air and forms the bubbles.