Question on wing Down wash ?

• Thread starter Raptor01601
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the down wash from an airplane at high altitude and how it reaches the earth. The pressure distribution aft of the airfoil and the role of viscosity in dissipating the downwash are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the transfer of momentum and energy in free shear flows and bounded domains, as well as the effects of gravity. Overall, the conversation explores the mechanisms involved in the downwash reaching the earth's surface.
Raptor01601
I was wondering if you could help me with a question?

How does the down wash from an airplane at high altitude (out of ground effect) reach the earth? It seems to me from looking at various airfoil simulation programs that in 2-D flow *bound vortex only* the pressure distribution aft of the airfoil will return the airflow to the free stream direction, in addition, if you go certain distance above or below an airfoil, you will find a straight streamline. In 3-D flow, I know that the wing tip vortices contain down wash, but they will dissipate due to friction (viscosity). Is it a momentum flow or something from the dissipated vortices that provides the down wash at the surface of the earth?

From conservation of momentum laws, is it required that a down wash reach the earth?

Thank you for your time

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, it's not required that they reach the earth, and you answered the question yourself. Air viscosity will dissipate the downwash entirely if the plane is high enough off the ground.

I know that you can dissipate the energy, turning it into heat, but you can not dissipate the momentum.

Also, I think Prandtl showed that an aircraft at altitude will leave a "footprint" which would be extremely hard to maesure because it would be a really small pressure change over a huge area. I was just wondering what "transport mechanism" brought this "footprint" to earth.

Raptor01601 said:
I know that you can dissipate the energy, turning it into heat, but you can not dissipate the momentum.
That is incorrect. Momentum and energy are dissipated - or transferred.

As enigma already mentioned - Air viscosity will dissipate the downwash entirely if the plane is high enough off the ground!

If a plane is close enough to the ground, the downwash reach the ground where it will become a lateral flow with some upflow as well, which itself will be dissipated.

Take a look at a B-1 near the surface of a lake - http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=82&topic=1448.msg48989#msg48989 . The effect is quite localized. The disburance is pretty much dissipated at a distance greater than the characteristic dimension, which could be effective diameter or wing span.

[
QUOTE=Astronuc]That is incorrect. Momentum and energy are dissipated - or transferred.

I thought the rule was that energy is dissipated (turned into heat) by viscosity.

Momentum is "spread out" by viscosity I think that spread out and transferred mean the same thing here.

I realize that you could probably spread out the momentum so much that you no longer have a "bulk movement" of fluid. In which case I guess that the momentum would be transferred (spread out) by diffusion (molecular motion) of the gas.

Does that sound correct?

Raptor01601 said:
[

I thought the rule was that energy is dissipated (turned into heat) by viscosity.

Momentum is "spread out" by viscosity I think that spread out and transferred mean the same thing here.

I realize that you could probably spread out the momentum so much that you no longer have a "bulk movement" of fluid. In which case I guess that the momentum would be transferred (spread out) by diffusion (molecular motion) of the gas.

Does that sound correct?

In free shear flows the momentum is conserved integrating the velocity in all the infinite domain, despites you have the viscous stress acting inside it. But if you have a bounded domain by solid boundaries, the friction against the wall will cause a loose of momentum (transferred to the wall !) and a loose of energy. Boundaries acts as sinks of momentum and energy, when the heat flux and viscosity are enabled. On the other hand, gravity can be a source of momentum, like in a bouyant jet.

Ok..

In a gas, pressure is caused by molecular collisions with each other and with the walls of whatever container they are in. These velocitys are random velocitys in the Vx, Vy, and Vz directions. Temperature is a measure of the average translational kinetic energy.

If you have two different layers of gas sliding past one another, at different velocitys (velocity of the fluid as a whole), you will have friction/viscosity also caused by molecular collsions

Is this correct?

Last edited:

1. What is downwash?

Downwash is the downward flow of air that is created by the wings of an aircraft as it moves through the air. It is an important aerodynamic concept that affects the performance and stability of an aircraft.

2. How does downwash affect the lift of an aircraft?

Downwash plays a crucial role in generating lift for an aircraft. As the wings move through the air, they create an area of low pressure above the wing and high pressure below the wing. This pressure difference creates lift, and the downwash helps to direct the airflow over the wing, increasing the lift produced.

3. What factors can affect downwash?

Several factors can influence the amount of downwash generated by an aircraft, including the shape and size of the wing, the angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the direction of flight), and the speed of the aircraft. Other factors such as air density, temperature, and humidity can also impact downwash.

4. Are there any negative effects of downwash?

While downwash is essential for generating lift, it can also have some negative effects on an aircraft. Excessive downwash can cause a decrease in lift, which can affect the stability and handling of the aircraft. It can also lead to increased drag, which can decrease the aircraft's overall performance.

5. How can downwash be minimized or controlled?

Designers and engineers use various methods to minimize and control downwash, such as wing shape and wingtip design. Wing flaps and slats can also be deployed to alter the airflow and reduce downwash. Advanced technologies such as winglets and wing fences are also used to improve the aerodynamics of an aircraft and reduce downwash.