Thermodynamics-ideal gas tables

• Thread starter alberto23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the problem involves determining the change in specific entropy using the ideal gas model for different gases and conditions. The first method used is to match the temperatures in Kelvin with the corresponding "s" values in Table A22 and interpolate to get the answer. The second method involves using Table A20 to find the specific heat values, averaging them, and using the formula for entropy change in an ideal gas. For part B, which is not at constant pressure, the equation for entropy change in an ideal gas can be used.
alberto23
Thermodynamics--ideal gas tables

problem says:

6.25 employing the ideal gas model, determine the change in specific entropy between the indicated states, in kJ/kg K. Solve 2 ways: use the appropriate ideal gas table, and a constant specific heat from Table A-20.

(a) air, p1 = 100 kPa, T1 = 20°C → p2 = 100 kPa, T2 = 100°C
(b) air, p1 = 1 bar, T1 = 27°C → p2 = 3 bar, T2 = 377°C
(c) carbon dioxide, p1 = 150 kPa, T1 = 30°C, p2 = 300 kPa, T2 = 300°C
(d) carbon monoxide, T1 = 300K, v1 = 1.1 m3/kg → T2 = 500K, v2 = 0.75 m3/kg
(e) nitrogen, p1 = 2 Mpa, T1 = 800K → p2 = 1 Mpa, T2 = 300K

answers are:
A) 0.24289, 0.2431
B) 0.47632, 0.47684
C) 0.4769, 0.4862
D) 0.2701, 0.2696
E) -0.8373, -0.8389

i did part A fine and got the right asnwer. solving using the first method (appropriate ideal gas table)--which is table A22 in my book (fundamentals of thermodynamics edition 5). you just have to convert temp to kelvin and match it up with the corresponding "s" value. the exact values aren't on table so i had to interpolate. then i did s2-s1 and got the right answer. solving using the second method (Table A20--"ideal gas specific heats of some common gasses"), i used the temperatures to find the cp values. then i averaged the 2 cp values together and used the formula (delta)s=cp*ln(T2/T1). this gave me the right answer.

but...for part B, it is not constant pressure and it doesn't say if its constant volume or not, so i don't know how to use the specific heat table for this.

if you can help me...thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this to see if it works.

[tex]s=C_{v}\ln T_{2}/T_{1}+R\ln V_{2}/V_{1}[/tex]

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving these thermodynamics problems. It looks like you have a good grasp on using the ideal gas tables and the specific heat table to find the change in specific entropy for different gases and conditions.

For part B, you are correct in noting that the problem does not specify if the process is constant volume or not. In this case, you can assume that it is a reversible adiabatic process, where the specific entropy remains constant. Therefore, the change in specific entropy is zero.

In general, when the process is not specified, you can make assumptions based on the given information and the ideal gas model to solve the problem. For example, if the problem gives the initial and final temperatures and pressures, you can assume that the process is isothermal and use the ideal gas table to find the change in specific entropy.

I hope this helps you with solving the rest of the problems. Keep up the good work!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It studies how these quantities affect each other and how they influence the behavior of matter.

What are ideal gas tables?

Ideal gas tables are a collection of data that provide the properties of an ideal gas at different temperatures and pressures. They are used to calculate the behavior of ideal gases in various thermodynamic processes.

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. Ideal gases have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume, making them easier to study than real gases.

How are ideal gas tables used?

Ideal gas tables are used to calculate the properties of an ideal gas at different temperatures and pressures. They can be used to determine the volume, pressure, temperature, and amount of gas in a system, as well as the heat and work involved in various thermodynamic processes.

What are the limitations of using ideal gas tables?

Ideal gas tables are only applicable to ideal gases, which do not exist in the real world. Real gases have intermolecular forces and occupy volume, which can affect their behavior and make them deviate from the ideal gas law. Additionally, ideal gas tables do not take into account phase changes or chemical reactions that may occur in a gas.