Force Resolving Structural Engineering Problem

In summary, the conversation is about using the Method of Joints to solve a problem in static equilibrium. The method involves finding the sum of forces in the x and y directions to be zero. The conversation includes references and examples for further clarification. The person asking for help is stuck on determining the negatives in their calculations and is unsure about a force being 0N on the bridge.
The Gradient Guru
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the help but I'm still a little stuck. I can work out the magnitudes fine but I'm a bit confused as to where the negatives should be and what they actually represent. This is my working so far (the joints are labelled A-K from left to right):

Fab = Force along member AB

Consider Joint A:

Sum of Verticals at A=25+Fab*sin60=0
Fab*sin60=-25
Fab=-28.8N

Since this is negative it is a compressive force.

Sum of Horizontals at A=Fab*cos60+Fac=0
-28.88*cos60=-Fac
Fac=14.4N

Since this is positive it is a tensile force.

Consider Joint B (This is where I get confused:

Sum of Verticals at B=Fab*sin60+Fbc*sin60+Fbd*sin0=0
28.88*sin60+Fbc*sin60+0=0
Fbc*sin60=-28.88*sin60
Fbc=-28.88

Since this is negative it is a compressive force.

Sum of Horizontals at B= Fab*cos60-Fbc*cos60+Fbd*cos0=0
28.88*cos60-Fbc*cos60+Fbd=0
-Fbc*cos60+Fbd=-28.88*cos60
Fbd=0N

Have I got all of the negatives right because I really have no idea how they are determined and also, is it even possible for Fbd to have a force of 0N on this bridge given that there is a force of 50N on the center of the bridge?

Thanks for any help.

1. What is force resolving in structural engineering?

Force resolving is the process of breaking down and analyzing the forces acting on a structure in order to determine the overall stability and structural integrity.

2. Why is force resolving important in structural engineering?

Force resolving is important because it allows engineers to identify and address potential weak points or flaws in a structure, ensuring its safety and longevity.

3. How is force resolving typically done in structural engineering?

Force resolving is typically done using mathematical equations and principles of physics to determine the various forces acting on a structure, such as tension, compression, and shear.

4. What are some common challenges in force resolving structural engineering problems?

Some common challenges in force resolving include accurately accounting for all external and internal forces, dealing with complex and non-uniform structures, and considering the effects of dynamic forces such as wind or earthquakes.

5. How does force resolving impact the design and construction of a structure?

Force resolving is a crucial part of the design and construction process, as it helps engineers determine the appropriate materials, dimensions, and supports needed to ensure the structural stability and safety of a building or other structure.